MacBook Pro (Late 2009) Restarts instead of Shutting Down

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by earth.mark.two, Jan 15, 2010.

1. earth.mark.two macrumors newbie

earth.mark.two

Hi guys,

I have a late 2009 model MacBook Pro and lately I've noticed that it sometimes - seemingly at random - restarts itself when I tell it to shutdown (through the Apple menu then Shut Down)

Anyone encountered this or know how to fix it? I haven't had any other problems except for a month or two back it did an update then stuck on a blue screen with a little loading icon like you get under the apple when it starts up normally. After half an hour of waiting, I performed a hard reset, and it worked fine.

Could they be connected? Is it serious? I'd appreciate any input, thanks guys :)

2. celticpride678

3. earth.mark.two thread starter macrumors newbie

earth.mark.two

Thanks :) I tried this, though I'll have to wait a while to figure out if it's actually worked. Much appreciated for the input.

4. earth.mark.two thread starter macrumors newbie

earth.mark.two

Well, it was good for a day or two, but just now when I shut it down, it has done it again, so it appears my problem is not fixed. Could doing this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964?viewlocale=en_US - Help at all? It seems to cover some of the things near to what I'm experiencing.

5. earth.mark.two thread starter macrumors newbie

earth.mark.two

I think it might be EyeTV (the television software) because I used it yesterday on my iMac as well, and then when I shut my iMac down; same problem. I looked in console and there is an EyeTV error, or rather, lots of EyeTV errors.

/Library/QuickTime/EyeTV MPEG Support.component/Contents/MacOS/EyeTV MPEG Support: open() failed with errno=1

That is one of them, and it occurs a LOT. It's actually under Google Chrome for Sender, so one of these three programs seems to be the culprit. I might get rid of Google Chrome and see if the problem persists.

6. Son1ze macrumors newbie

Re: Unibody MBP (Late 2009) Restarts instead of Shutting Down

I've been getting this issue consistently too and have been searching for the answer. It annoying to be in a rush and go to close your MBP lid only to find it starting up again.

Unfortunately for me I don't use EyeTV, Chrome or Sender so that eliminates those variables for my purposes, but I still get the same issue regardless if I shut down from the Apple menu or the via my Dockables dock shut down icon. Also it doesn't matter if I close all my apps or leave some open. It'll randomly restart on occasion either way.

One thing to note though is that the second shut down attempt from the login screen or via one of the aforementioned method usually completes a proper shutdown.

Have you found any answers?

7. earth.mark.two thread starter macrumors newbie

earth.mark.two

Unfortunately, no. Though my laptop seems to have ditched the habit for the most part. My first instinct is to blame EyeTV, but if you haven't used it on your computer perhaps that instinct is incorrect. Sorry I can't be of more assistance, but I'll let you know if I find anything more to fix the problem.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

9. Quetsche macrumors member

Also check if you have "restart automatically after a power failure" enabled in energy saver system prefs.