Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnsnow123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2020
Hi Everyone,
I'm new here and I wanted to ask a few things and would love to get your advice.
I'm going to buy a MacBook Pro Late 2011 2.8 i7 13" with 16GB DDR3 1600 and 256 GB SSD.

1. What's the Best OS for this 10-year-old Macbook Pro to get the best performance out of it? (right now it's on High Siera)
2. Should I Downgrade / Leave as-is / Upgrade the OS?
3. Should I Upgrade the SSD size?
4. Should I replace the CD ROM with another SSD or HHD? If so, what size memory?
5. Do you think this setup can do 1080p Video Editing with Premiere Pro or should I use iMovie?
6. Does this Macbook have Bluetooth? meaning can I pair it with my iPod 2 gen?

Thank you in advance for your kind help.
If you have any information and tips, would love to get them :)

S-Tronic

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2019
Hi, there are some possibillities.

1. keep macOS High Sierra, otherwise the 2011 MBP will be unusable. The GPU in this MBP hast no METAL-Support, that is needed for Mojave/Catalina/Big Sur. The 15" MBP has Dual-GPU, which will fail someday.

2. Keep High Sierra

3. 256GB SSD, no one knows, what you want to do with this Mac. I have a Music-Library with 800GB Music, I have 2TB in my Macbook. If you need Space on the SSD, because you will use iMovie / Final Cut, you have to change the SSD for a bigger one.

4. No one knows, what you want to do with the Mac. Do you use the DVD-Rom? Otherwise it is inexpensive to insert a 2nd SSD. Do you want to save your Projects, then go for the 2nd SSD.

5. I think, the Bottleneck will be the Intel HD 3000 GPU. I don't know, if the CPU is a Dual Core, or a Quad Core. If it is a Dual Core, don't buy this old Mac. That will disappoint you.

6. This Macbook has Bluetooth. If you want to do Internet Surfing, watch Youtube or Music / Media, gor for this Mac. But if you want to use programs for video or image editing, this is not the right Mac. In this case it is a "better Calculator", nothing else

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.