MacBook Pro late 2011 boot up problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BasicGreatGuy, Feb 4, 2014.

1. BasicGreatGuy, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I have a late 2011 MacBook Pro with AppleCare+ that I purchased new in January 2012. Tonight, I went to boot up, and the screen went from solid white to blue, to red, and then several other screens, before getting to the main login screen. It has done this 4 times now. I plan on taking it in as soon as I have the chance, but was wondering if anyone had experienced this or knows what is the likely culprit.

Edited to add: I just did the standard Apple hardware test, and it didn't find any problems.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Radeongate has hit your MBP.

Radeongate: GPU failure on 2011 15" and 17" MBPs with Radeon GPUs.

AHT won't show anything about a GPU failure.

3. BasicGreatGuy thread starter Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Mine is the 13". Does this problem still apply?

4. BasicGreatGuy thread starter Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Took my MBP in to the Genius Bar. The gentleman that spoke with me had never seen or heard of what I described. I found that surprising, but didn't say such to him. He ran some preliminary tests while I was there, and all the tests passed. He suggested that I leave the computer for some more intensive testing, which I did. He also said that if there is hardware failure starting to occur the tests should show such.

I should have taken a video of the problem yesterday. Unfortunately, I didn't think to do that, until after the fact.

He also said that if the tests don't show anything, it might be that the OS needs to have a clean install. I doubt that is the problem, since I did that to begin with.

Will see how my first experience with Genius Bar goes. If this is a GPU problem, I definitely want it fixed while it's under warranty until 12/14.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Nope, Radeongate only occurs on 15" and 17" Sandy Bridge MBPs.

6. BasicGreatGuy thread starter Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The Genius Bar could not replicate the random problem I have been having. Since my MBP is still under warranty, they suggested sending it off to the repair center in Tennessee, where they can do more intensive testing. I don't like being without my MBP. I hope they find the problem as I wait another week.

7. BasicGreatGuy thread starter Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Picked up my MBP this morning. They had to replace the logic board. It is a good thing the Genius Bar suggested sending it out for further testing. If I hadn't had AppleCare, the repair would have cost me $280.00 which $100.00 of it was for labor.

Well done Apple.

8. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

I wonder if that means they would sell the logic board for $180.

Barney

9. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Nope.
    That's the cost of the flat-rate repair. That program is where the portable is shipped to one of Apple's depot repair centers. Any repairs that are for failures that would ordinarily be covered by warranty can be completed for a flat fee. AppleCare (warranty) laptop repairs can use the same centers, and no charge at all for those repairs.
    It's not a "$180 logic board", but a repair for $180 that included replacing whatever parts were necessary to complete the repair. IMHO, it's a good service program.