Macbook Pro Late 2011 EFI Password

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dethlocture, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Dethlocture macrumors newbie

Hey there,

Long story short I purchased a MacBook pro late 2011 model from an older gentleman who forgot his password. I didn't think anything of it since I had a USB with OSX on it that I just planned to reinstall onto the mac. Unfortunately when I got home it turns out there is an EFI firmware password on it so I cannot reinstall the operating system.

Thinking I was smart, I took out the HDD and put in in an external enclosure where I thought I could reinstall the operating system from my other mac and then reinsert it and forget about the EFI password, if I could just use the mac without it. Well that didn't work, not the mac just boots to an unreadable question mark page and the EFI password is obviously still there. Apparently the 33 character hash tag is only useful to apple if they are willing to remove it.

I went to apple today and they said they won't remove it unless I get the original proof of purchase, which is impossible since the guy tossed it away. Is there any way to get around this, I know the old strategy of removing the ram doesn't work on these models. If there is a way that I can try and reinstall the HDD from another mac and then inserting it into the mac and having it boot with a new copy of OSX that would be excellent, or is that just dreaming and impossible to do. If I can install a new OSX on the HDD externally then getting it to lead, I wont care about the EFI password. Thanks, I hope someone can help.

2. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

You're pretty much out of luck.

Apple can reset it, but it requires a master key that only they have (if you do an EFI reset at a store they send a request to Apple HQ who generate a key that is sent back to the store that is time limited I believe).

Without Apple's help you're very unlikely to be able to remove that EFI password, effectively making the machine a brick.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's pretty much no way to bypass the EFI password.