MacBook Pro (Late 2011 Model) Heating Up After Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LikexTides, Aug 19, 2012.

1. LikexTides macrumors newbie

As the title says, my MBP running Mountain Lion is heating up a lot more than it ever has in the past, and I'm only running basic things. For example, right now as I'm typing this, I have open iTunes, Chrome, and the Twitter app. My computer is at 91C. I don't fully understand this, to be honest. Maybe someone can shed some light on the issue I'm having? Maybe it was just a bad install or something.

Thanks for the help! :)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

1. Launch Activity Monitor
    2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
    3. Click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
    4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
    5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
    6. Post your screenshots.

3. LikexTides thread starter macrumors newbie

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Google Chrome is the obvious culprit, probably due to Flash content on websites. For Flash-related issues:
    • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
    • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
    • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) Some have reported better performance with HTML5, while some have reported worse. Try it and find out what works best for you.

5. LikexTides thread starter macrumors newbie

I think that did the trick!
    Thank you very much :).

6. LikexTides thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, I followed everything that you said, and my Mac is still going upwards of 80C :/.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Post screen shots again of Activity Monitor.

8. Furifo macrumors 6502

Is google chrome still using up your system resources? Try quitting google chrome completely (command + Q) and try running safari instead and let us know if that has fixed the problem.

If google chrome is the culprit and you've followed the previous advice given to you then I don't know what the problem is but hopefully somebody else will help you.