Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lee2307

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Basically, my Macbook Pro (Late 2011 edition) one day decided it wasn't going to work. I started it up the normal way, white screen, apple tone, apple symbol but then after 30 seconds, instead of showing me the desktop, the laptop would just switch off. Every time I started it, the same thing. I decided to boot into my Windows 8 partition and that worked without any problems so I knew it wasn't a hardware problem.

My next move was to obviously reformat the hard drive and begin the tedious task of re installing Mountain Lion. I booted into the recovery partition, went to disk utility, formatted both partitions (Windows 8 included), remapped the hard drive so that there is only 1 partition and then went to 'Reinstall Mac OS X'. The screen would start up and tell me it is downloading the additional components and the Macbook would restart once completed to continue the installation.

Once the download was complete, the laptop would NOT restart, instead the screen would flash and take me back to the Recovery screen. If I go to 'Reinstall MAC OS X' again, it would just re download what I just downloaded and subsequently flash and take me back to recovery screen without restarting and without continuing with the installation.

I then decided to boot from a USB Drive with the Recovery Partition on it, formatted the whole drive (recovery partition included) and reinstall from the USB. Same Problem. Macbook would just flash after download and take me back to recovery screen.

I then decided to take out the USB, boot the laptop and hold down CMD + R for 10 seconds to boot the macbook into 'Internet Recovery'. once this was done, it brought me back to the Recovery screen and I pressed Reinstall Mac OS X. This would then download LION (10.7). Once this was complete - SAME PROBLEM, macbook would just take me back to the recovery screen WITHOUT restart and WITHOUT installing.

As you can see, I have practically done everything I could to get this bloody thing to install without avail.

The macbook has surpassed its guarantee so I am trying everything I can before having to take it to repairs - I'm from Malta too so we don't even have an official Apple store, just authorised resellers.

Can anyone else suggest anything to me that may help solve my problem?

Many Thanks in advance!

PS: The only upgrade I have done to my Macbook since I got it was take out the 4gb Ram it came with and install Mac approved 8GB ram (2x4gb).

Thank You

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Macbook Pro (late 2012) OS X installation Failing
The macbook has surpassed its guarantee so I am trying everything I can before having to take it to repairs - I'm from Malta too so we don't even have an official Apple store, just authorised resellers.

:confused:
How can you NOT have warranty, Apple has a one year warranty on their products, so you should not have a problem here!
Your is late 2012, so, I am confused.

Lee2307

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
:confused:
How can you NOT have warranty, Apple has a one year warranty on their products, so you should not have a problem here!
Your is late 2012, so, I am confused.

Apologies, in my haste to writing this I stupidly wrote 2012 - it is a late 2011! Bought in November of 2011

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Apologies, in my haste to writing this I stupidly wrote 2012 - it is a late 2011! Bought in November of 2011

And I should have known, a late 2012 does not come with Lion.( You said it tried to install Lion):)

I've seen some strange things lately, like yours or not being able to format a drive, think the software is kinda buggy.
This does not help you though.

I think you should try to install the OS on an external disk, a USB stick would also do but I think even a 8 GB is barely enough.
If that worked Carbon Copy Clone it to your internal, CCC up until 3.4.7 is free.
But, after installing on an external you should of course boot from the external.

----------

You can change the Title in your original Post, click on edit and go advanced or double click edit.
Just see you started a new thread, I reported it since this is not what we do here.(Forum rules)

Lee2307

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
And I should have known, a late 2012 does not come with Lion.( You said it tried to install Lion):)

I've seen some strange things lately, like yours or not being able to format a drive, think the software is kinda buggy.
This does not help you though.

I think you should try to install the OS on an external disk, a USB stick would also do but I think even a 8 GB is barely enough.
If that worked Carbon Copy Clone it to your internal, CCC up until 3.4.7 is free.
But, after installing on an external you should of course boot from the external.

----------

Thank you for the advice - I have tried booting from an external USB but it just takes me to the "downloading additional components page" and when complete just flashes and takes me back to the recovery page - although I may be doing something wrong as the USB I am using is an 8gb and still has 3.5gig free.

Secondly, how do I go about creating an external drive if my Macbook is out of action? I would need to use an OS X based computer to be able to do this? Unfortunately this is my only source of MAC, otherwise I work around windows.

Thanks for you advice and apologies for re posting the thread - it has now been fixed. Noobie mistake lol.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
----------

Thank you for the advice - I have tried booting from an external USB but it just takes me to the "downloading additional components page" and when complete just flashes and takes me back to the recovery page - although I may be doing something wrong as the USB I am using is an 8gb and still has 3.5gig free.

Secondly, how do I go about creating an external drive if my Macbook is out of action? I would need to use an OS X based computer to be able to do this? Unfortunately this is my only source of MAC, otherwise I work around windows.

Thanks for you advice and apologies for re posting the thread - it has now been fixed. Noobie mistake lol.

As I said before, you can boot from Recover HD(Command-R) or Internet Recovery(Command-Option-R) and then install the OS X on the USB stick instead of the internal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.