Macbook Pro late 2011 refresh

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mdcuk, Oct 13, 2011.

1. mdcuk macrumors newbie

What does every one think, will apple silently update there macbook pro range soon, should i wait or buy now?

Also main befits of an i7 in a 13" as i cant deside between the i5 and i7.:cool:

Cheers for the replys ;)

mdcuk :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

2. nicklad macrumors 6502

If anything, they'll get a bump in processor speed. Ivy Bridge based MBPs won't arrive until next year.

3. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

If you need it now, buy it now.

The "silent" updates people have talked about haven't happened in the past--with the i5/i7 lineup before Sandy Bridge, all that happened was a 2.8 GHz i7 was added as a BTO option. There were no other changes, and it seems highly unlikely that the MBPs will be changed at all prior to the holiday season.

4. MathiasVH macrumors regular

I've got the 2.3gHz i5 13".

If the new 13" has a higher resolution and quad-core, I'm buying it. And I actually don't think that this is an unthinkable update, even as a "silent" one!

5. swedefish, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

swedefish macrumors 6502

I will be annoyed if the update comes out within the next few weeks as I just ordered my new MBP 15" Anti-glare yesterday. :/

6. macagain macrumors regular

umm... perhaps you might want to consider canceling the order them :)

7. swedefish macrumors 6502

Nah, I need a new laptop asap, but it's a bit worrying that that my order has been "processing" for two days; first time an Apple Store order has been that slow for me.

8. Liquinn Suspended

Well, if you always want the latest and greatest, you're never going to be happy :p

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I'm guessing they'll do a spec bump soon, like, later this year, and a redesign + new processor + no optical drive sometime in 2012.

10. zebualvi macrumors newbie

I got a refurbished high-end MBP 15 on 11th oct. Read about new laptops coming by the end of this month so should i return my laptop and get the new one or keep this and then wait for next year model (refurbished ofcourse). I personally think that i should save the money and get faster hdd and 8 gb ram. What do u guys think? I need this model for 3d animation, video editing and post processing, photoshop etc so having a faster cpu matters but so does faster hdd and 8 gb ram.

11. some idiot macrumors member

your high-end laptop should be more than enough for what you need. a small bump in processor speed isn't likely to make a huge enough difference to warrant the hassle. 8gb of RAM and a faster HDD is probably worth it.

12. sfoalex macrumors 6502

I was about to place an order for a new MBP. I'll wait. I'd like to see it slim down the weight, get rid of the optical, and boost performance. That would be a very good thing.

13. Quinoky macrumors regular

Quinoky

Then prepare to wait for at least another six months, I suppose.

14. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I'm sorry, that's just funny. What you're saying is that the current MBPs are too heavy, too big, and too slow. Many words come to mind, but "absurd" seems appropriate . . .

15. Liquinn Suspended

Who would buy these speed bumps when Ivy Bridge will be out in 5-6 months?

16. swedefish macrumors 6502

I will buy even without the rumored speed bump (ordered mine a few days ago). Why? Because I need one now.

17. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

18. warvanov macrumors 6502a

Somebody who's currently using a 1st gen Mac mini (circa 2005) and desperately needs something newer and better.

<= This guy.

19. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

Also someone whose MBP has just died...