Macbook Pro Late 2013 Not Mounting Seagate Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by unitethenations, Nov 19, 2013.

1. unitethenations macrumors member

I have a 2013 Retina MBP.

I was trying to do a migration during setup assistant and the MBP will absolutely not mount the 3TB (Seagate backup plus) drive containing the clone and time machine partitions. I have even booted into the recovery disk to see what was going on.

It is (hopefully) not a USB issue as the MBP mounts a usb stick and another 2TB drive. My old (<2012) MBP can mount the 3TB in addition to the above. There are no disk errors.

I saw one post on the seagate forum but thought it might be an anomaly (as it concerns booting rather than just mounting). Has anyone with a late 2013 MBP had this problem, or can tell me how to solve it?

I have called Apple support and they were unable to solve the problem.

2. ooans macrumors 6502

I have a 4TB Seagate Backup Plus drive, and it works fine with my Late 2013 MBP. I do, however, have problems with another 4TB external drive.

3. unitethenations, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013

unitethenations thread starter macrumors member

What brand is the other drive? What kind of problems are you having?

Also can you tell me anything about the difference between the 2013 USB ports and older macs (i.e. Power supplied)?

4. double329 macrumors 6502

You need to install the SW that you can download from Seagate site. I think it is called dashSomething. Just install it and reboot. You don't need to use the SW, just install it. Plug your USB drive in, it should work after that.

5. unitethenations thread starter macrumors member

Is that safe? I only ask because there have been reports of data loss with WD drives + Mavericks because of proprietary software. Have you had any issues with the software/drive? Were you only able to mount it after installing the seagate software?

6. double329, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013

double329 macrumors 6502

Like I said, I installed the SW but never used it. I never run it. I think, the SW installed proper USB driver and that is all I need.

As the matter of fact, I just removed the Seagate Dashboard SW that I installed. My rMBP has no issue recognizing my ext disc now. rMBP didn't work before SW installation.

7. unitethenations thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for going to the trouble to check.
    I want to confirm that this http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seagate-dashboard-2x-mac-master-dl/ is the software you are talking about.

I have not installed it yet (as I want to use setup assistant rather than migration assistant - pondini writes that you can have permission errors if you use the latter), but may have (partially) solved the problem.

The MBP now seems to recognize the drive when plugged directly into a power source (rather than a surge protector). Do you think that the late 2013 MBPs handle USB peripherals differently, as they are 3.0 and my old mac was 2.0 (the drive uses a 3.0 connector)? I don't know much about these things but

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5172#12
    and
    http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/76688/macbook-air-and-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive

seem to support the case that it may not be supplying adequate power to use the drive when plugged into a surge protector. Alternatively, could I just have received a MBP that is defective? I think after installing the software you recommended and testing it I'll have a better idea.

8. double329 macrumors 6502

Yes, that is the SW.

I installed on tow of my MBP, one MBA and the Mac mini. All four have no issue. And again, Murphy's law any thing can happen.

I found that hard to believe plugging from different source made a different. All I know is , you need to use provided power supply.

As the matter fact, when I first got the drive(I now have 4 of them, 2t, 2x3t, 4t), my MBA had no issue recognized the drive while the rest didn't. That is when I start to see the issue. Not data corruption, just weird issue like unable to write to it. At the same time , I also have thunderbolt adapter. I plug the very same drive into thunderbolt and it works great! That thing is super fast. Seagate advertised this as Mac drive, it has got to work. That is what lead me to believe, it has to do with USB driver in OSX. I use one of the 3tb USB 3 as my timemachine.