MacBook Pro - Late 2014 Update

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheDeviceUser, Sep 22, 2014.

1. TheDeviceUser macrumors 6502a

Hi, I'm selling my MacBook Air to get a MacBook pro with Retina Display. Now of course the MacBook Pro received an update earlier this year, however do you think there's a chance Apple could update them with Broadwell if they've got the chips early and in limited supply?

I don't want to buy a new one for a newer version to be released a month later.

Thought's guys?

2. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

It will be a while before they are updated again. I would say it would be a minimum of 6 to 9 months before we see a refresh.

3. dbdynsty25 macrumors regular

It was just updated 2 months ago (Late July)...so it's gonna be a while before the refresh. Probably next summer w/ the newer Broadwell Intel chips once they are ready.

4. jigar7 macrumors newbie

I think the 6-9 month wait would be totally worth it because rumors suggest that the new MBPs will have the new line of intel broadwell processors (30% less power consumption) which will boost the battery life from the current 9 hours to 12-15 hours (everyday use).

I too am waiting for the refresh. I think with the introduction of super glued battery-chassis assembly, it is crucial to get a battery with increased capacity/performance because I tend to use my MBPs for 4-5 years at least. If the battery dies... the out of warranty replacement (1 year) costs 199$ which is totally ridiculous! I've always hated integrated batteries because I had a spare battery with me.

From what I've heard, even the working parts like the Mobo+ram get replaced in the battery replacement process (because of the glued battery). I hate it when Apple replaces parts that don't need to be replaced. It just increases the probability of getting the MBP back with another faulty part even with the "Apple Certified" testing.

5. Tourgott macrumors member

It will be also worth to wait another 9 months for Skylake.

6. konradsa macrumors regular

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Retina_MacBook_Pro

7. gochi macrumors 6502

8. wytwolf macrumors regular

From MacRumors own buying guide:

Days since last release Jul 2014 56

Average 259

Recent releases

Oct 2013 280

Feb 2013 251

Jun 2012 247

Broadwell is not due until just before Xmas. Given this info and apples avg release dates the next MBP shouldn't be due until the spring, possibly Mid April.

9. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

I'm betting there will be at least a refresh in October.

10. konradsa macrumors regular

Why? That makes absolutely no sense. This is that same non-sense as people were saying Apple would release new Macbooks at the iPhone 6 launch event.

Apple will focus on MBA and do a big release there, rMBP probably Summer next year.

11. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

This is my opinion, but I do not think we will see the new MacBook Pro's until the middle of next year. I think we will see them in June at WWDC. I would be surprised if it was earlier than April, or later than September.

12. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

I owned a mid 2012 MacBook Pro with Retina Display, and a late 2013 MacBook Pro with Retina Display. It makes a lot of sense to me.

13. wytwolf macrumors regular

I doubt there will be an update this year. Only reason why Apple updated twice in 2013 was due to haswell. Broadwall is not released yet and from what I've read will not be available until the end of 2014/ early 2015. This would result in a spring or summer 2015 update.

14. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

The Macbook Pro Retina will probably be updated in the middle of 2015. However, there are rumors of a 12" air with the newer lower power/MHz Broadwells before that.

15. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

This, the broadwell release has spread out over the next nine months with the appropriate macbook pro chips not arriving until the second quarter of 2015. Intel has decided to concentrate on getting out the ULV parts for fanless ultrabooks and hybrid tablet/laptop machines. Probably a sensible decision considering what is selling at the moment.