MacBook Pro - LCD acting funny

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FSMBP, Jul 19, 2009.

1. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

So a couple days of ago, I noticed my MacBook Pro's monitor would cut in and out rapidly for a couple seconds when I adjusted it.

Today, my hand grazed the top of the monitor, and it the colors became inverted momentarily. So I decided to touch the top of the monitor again, and my screen became inverted permanently until I tapped it again.

What's the deal? I'd appreciate any help/advice.

2. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

If you have Applecare schedule an appointment. If you don't, plug it into an external monitor if you can to verify that your video card is fine. If it turns out to be your LCD and don't have applecare you can either pay a lot of money to get it fixed or you can try to order the parts off ebay and fix it yourself.

If you plan on having Apple fix it with no applecare, it could be expensive.

3. FSMBP thread starter macrumors 68020

FSMBP

It's definitely not the video-card, as I keep it mostly plugged into an external LCD, and because the MBP's monitor only acts funny when I move it.

I guess I may be stuck with it as I have no AppleCare.

Thanks for the advice though!

4. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

That is definitely a strange problem. If you press Ctrl+Alt+cmd+8 does it invert the inverted display?

5. FSMBP thread starter macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Yeah, that's always worked and still does. When the monitor acted funky, the color were similar to CMD+ALT+CLT+8 but text was somewhat scrambled.

I'm guessing there's something wrong with how the display connects to the MacBook Pro because it only does this when I move the display (it shutters in and out) and it's only inverted the screen colors twice briefly.

Could I take it to Apple to get it checked out to see what the exact problem without cost?

6. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I have no idea what it might cost. Perhaps there is just a loose connection and it is something a Apple Store genius could do in no time. Or maybe you've got one of those defective NVidia chips.

7. FSMBP thread starter macrumors 68020

FSMBP

So I went to the Genius Bar, and the guy told me it might be the logic board.

He advised me to send it away at the standard rate for Apple Macs ($399). Do you think this is the best option? I know I'm limited on what I can do but I just feel it's a loose connection with the screen.

8. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

$399? Just blame it on the 8600m GT and get it fixed for free. :D

9. FSMBP thread starter macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Haha, I tried to but the Genius whipped out this device "GPU Tester" and ran it on my Mac right then and there.

I mean 80% of the time my Mac is hooked up to an external monitor (and doesn't show any screen glitches). But when my MacBook is portable (hence it's main purpose), the screen is unusable.

I guess I have a big version of a Mac Mini now?