MacBook Pro LCD Panel Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nikiski, Nov 27, 2007.

1. nikiski macrumors regular

Hey guys, my friend stupidly smashed his MacBook Pro display and he would like to have it replaced. However the quote from Apple is rather high. He sent me a link referring to a replacement panel that he got, which is an LG panel. However when I checked his computer his panel is a Samsung. I assume that the Rear housing may be different... (BTW It's a 2.4GHz 15.4", LED backlit)

Can anyone shed some light on this matter? Or where I could order that part (Rear Housing for LG LED backlit display, 15.4") for him?

Thanks in advance. :)

2. mrscampi81 macrumors newbie

I recently had a similar incident with the same spec macbook pro as your friend. It slipped off my knee with the ipod charging cable on the keyboard and the lid slammed shut cracking the LED screen. I thought it wouldnt be too pricey to repair as there was no other damage to the notebook at all, £400 maybe?

After contacting my home insurance company and john lewis it appeared i would need an apple certified repair centre to have my warranty left in tact.
    Final bill for insurance company £942

Very little was actual labour and i was told the whole lid was replaced.This led me to believe the LED panel is bonded in to the lid so just picking up a replacement screen may not work. i may be completely wrong and there was another reason i had the whole top case replaced.

You may be better off checking out ebay for someone who has broken the actual computer part of their macbook and now have an intact upper casing to sell. If i was footing the bill for my repair and didnt mind voiding my warranty thats how i would have proceeded. (if you have any experience inside of computers and decent instructions repairing it yourself should be fairly straightforward.

Repair manuals i have seen online look very similar to the powerbooks and they were very fiddly(small tools and patience needed ) to get into but not too daunting.

Hope that helps

3. iBecks macrumors 6502

Apple replace the whole screen and enclosure, not just the lcd panel on these, thats probably why it cost so much.

However, they can replace the LCD panel on its own, if you ask.

4. nikiski thread starter macrumors regular

Hm... I asked someone who has access to Apple Service Manuals and it appears that the panels are attached to something else as the panel isn't listed as a separate part... Picture 1.png

5. indigoflowAS macrumors 6502

indigoflowAS

My sister just cracked her screen, so I'm curious about this information as well. My Genius friend said that Apple would do it for $1250, which is beyond absurd...and some third party outfits look much more reasonable, $550 or so. I'm not quite sure if I'm into the idea of doing it myself though.

6. dordal macrumors member

I know the lid and the panel are separate.... I had my MBP sent in for the yellowing issue, and they replaced the LCD but left the lid intact. How do I know? Because there was a very light scratch on the lid, and it was still there when I got it back.

7. Jian001 Guest

I sent mine in three times for the uneven / yellow display. I got new panels all three times.

8. iBecks macrumors 6502

As I posted, on the C2D models, Apple will change the whole screen and enclosure.

I know, they did it to my previous MBP 3 times.

9. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

The part costs about $650 USD plus labor costs.

10. Johnmg macrumors newbie

Cheapest LCD for MAC

The cheapest place to find mac LCD is Giga computers. you can be buy it from www.gigacomputers.co.nz which about US$200 considering current exchange rate! they are wholesale to public and replace macbook 13.3" LCD at NZ$395 include fitting! also same story about macbook pro LCD and other type as well.

thought it maybe help

11. loveevery1 macrumors newbie

I found even cheaper one for all the mac solutions, check this link out guys , these guys are really affordable and they do a very good job.. www.omlaptops.co.nz .

12. ross4141 macrumors newbie

Hey

it could have been better if u could hav approached any macbook repair store.