Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apples555

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
On My 2010 13" Unibody MacBook Pro, over the years, a shadow has appeared on the LCD. It looks like slight greyish clouding, and the interesting part is that the shadow is exactly in the shape of the Apple logo, which is of course on the other side of the display cover.

I can't understand how this has occurred. It's like something is between the backlight and the LCD, perhaps dust. It is slowly getting more noticeable.

On the topic of dust, I've seen some similar clouding in an iMac with accompanying solutions. However, in that situation, he was able to separate the diffusor and LCD. I don't see how that is possible on the MacBook Pro LCD.

Has anyone had this happen and resolved it?

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2015
Reactions: Sanpete

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Those links describe different issues. If there's dust getting in, that's one thing, pressure would be another. The stuff about burn-in in relation to the shape of the Apple logo makes no sense, but if the machine had direct sun on the Apple logo over time that might possibly cause some issue, I suppose. I've never had this issue myself, with machines from 2004 and 2011 that are still running.

The ifixit link says taking the display apart is difficult, so it may not be practical to repair if it's dust. If it's pressure, I doubt anything could fix it.

Apples555

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Those links describe a white ghost on a black background, not a shadow. Mine is most noticeable with a white background. Here's a photo.

20170409_171144353_iOS_zpsr3acesaa.jpg

I just don't understand how this develops. No direct sunlight. If it's dust, can I just take out the panel as seen on ifixit and wipe off the back? I don't see how that would do anything, nor do I see how the Apple logo could cause a shadow.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
If the logo is thicker than the surrounding surface, it may be pressing on the inner part of the screen. But that's just a theory.

Apples555

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
You may be on to something. I'm going to get a giant suction cup and see if I can modify the shadow.

If that's true, a new panel would just develop the same issues later.

Apples555

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
I've discovered that pressure results in brighter shadows, not dimmer. So I'm back to square zero. Is it dust?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.