MacBook Pro lemon?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by larrycrutcher, Sep 1, 2010.

1. larrycrutcher macrumors newbie

Since 1983 I have been computing. I still have my Morrow MD3. In 2008 I took the plunge and purchased my first Mac. It has been a bad experience in many ways so far.

My first problem was after an OS system "software update", it reset my computer as if I was the first user. All my old settings lost.

My hard drive crashed after 14 months. I replaced the hard drive and started over.

I bought a Time Capsule so that I would be able to recover if anything happened again. The hard drive in it died. I replaced the hard drive. Now it will not complete backups. No solution found yet.

I upgraded to OS X. While trying to resolve other issues, the DVD drive will not recognize the new OS X disk. It will also spit out my Ilife '09 disk and not let me install. It's a new disk.

There are many daily problems with the operating system. Sometimes it takes 6 minutes to boot. I run repair disk pretty regular but it does not clear all problems found.

In 28 years of computing I have never had so many problems. I have never had a hard drive crash. Probably have had over 50 drives.

I am still running two 7 year old Sharp laptops with XP. Very minor problems have occurred over the years, easily fixable.

What gives? Did I just get a lemon(s) or are all Macs this much trouble?

Larry

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

No, your just unlucky. I have had over 10 Mac's throughout my career/life and I have not had a single problem.

3. iHeartapple2 macrumors 6502

iHeartapple2

Not one single problem with my MacBook. Guess it's you! :D

4. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

You probably got a Lemon, but I have to admit I don't really trust the super slots from apple. They always make a hell of a noise, I'm always scared my mac dies any moment.

But you should try a macbook, I guess you have a mac mini, because the macbooks are better build/less problems.

Hard drives just die, it's not something with apple, they just use hard drives from other manufacturers (like every pc builder).

What OS did you BTW install? You're not telling me you used mac OS 9 in 2008 and only just have installed mac os 10.1 . You probably mean you have installed mac os x snow leopard.

5. AustinZ macrumors member

AustinZ

6. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

You got a lemon dude, should have taken it in and traded a LONG time ago.

7. CW Jones macrumors 6502

Seems like a lemon.

Just a heads up.. With a title like yours with "why are macs such junk?" You are going to be called a troll... a LOT because that's how you come off right now.

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

In 99% of the cases, this is a symptom of the user renaming their home folder. The data and settings are usually still there in the original folders, and the OS has created 'new' user folders. http://canadaram.com/do-it-yourself/My-Mac-s-data---settings---emails-have-disappeared.htm
    Did you have Apple replace it under warranty, or was it replaced with a third-party drive?
    What version? What version were you running previously?
    Were you using a black coloured retail version of OSX install DVD, or a gray coloured disk which was bundled with a Mac?
    Your OS as installed on the drive evidently is damaged or incorrectly installed. It will not fix itself, if Disk Repair does not repair all issues then other methods must be taken to repair them. Problems will continue until the damage is repaired.
    You are the luckiest computer user on the planet, if you have never had a drive error in all that time. Every hard drive in the world will fail, it's just a matter of time. Some fail early, most in the 3 - 5 year time period, and a few last longer - it's a Bell curve.

9. larrycrutcher thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh I have had plenty of disk issues. All recoverable. I've never had two total hard drive failures like this. Thanks for your reply.

Got to go, my Time Machine error just popped up, again.

10. larrycrutcher thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, Change title to "Why is MY mac such junk?"

Everyone seems to agree, I got a lemon. If you see it listed on eBay, don't buy it!:D

Thank you everyone for your quick reply's.

Larry

11. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

That be a lemon, and it aint no Meyer's lemon