MacBook Pro Leopard discs, don't have..do desktop Mac OS X discs work?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Allyssea, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Allyssea macrumors newbie

I recently received a MacBook Pro as a gift. However the original discs were not given to me. The hard drive still has remaining files on there, and I wanted to do a clean swipe of the hard drive. I had read that you need the original discs to reinstall the software and get a clean swipe. Is this true? I have inserted the discs and it says that the installation will not be completed. Would this be the case then?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Remember that retail Leopard disks will work ONLY if the computer came with a version of Mac OS X earlier than the one on the retail disk. This means that if your particular model came with 10.5.2, you'll need a retail disk with the 10.5.3 or later update pre-applied. The same applies to Tiger and earlier versions of Mac OS X.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Restore and Software discs are tied to particular models. You would be better off buying a copy of Leopard and using it. You will also have to buy iLife if you want to use it as well.

If you want do a new Install from the Discs, everything should be fine.

TEG

4. WarMachine macrumors member

WarMachine

What discs did you insert if you don't have the installation discs? Anyway, there are other ways to delete everything, but you will need the installation discs to re-install Mac OS X. You could try asking the person you bought it from for them or simply go to an Apple store and buy them, they're not so expensive.