Macbook Pro lid misaligned

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brianfast, Jun 15, 2010.

?

Is your macbook pro 13 inch's lid misaligned

1. yes

10 vote(s)
    37.0%
  2. no

17 vote(s)
    63.0%
  1. brianfast macrumors regular

My macbook pro 13 inch's lid is misaligned... I have had it less than a week and could return it... I am trying to figure out how normal this is. Other than that and some other small cosmetic effects the laptop is fine.

In one of the corners (hinge side) the lid sticks out maybe 1 -1.5 milimeter... and this misalignment carries over to the rest of the laptop as well.. so on one side the lid is initially not covering the whole laptop... then it sticks out over the laptop etc...

Does anyone here have the same problem (and yes I used mroogle)

2. Reapur macrumors regular

Take the thing back, you paid over a thousand dollars for something that should come pristine. Exchange it sooner rather than later.

3. Ann P macrumors 68020

Misaligned lid and "some other small defects" are NOT ok. Please go and exchange before the 14th day.

4. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

"Other small cosmetic effects"?!?!?!?!?? I had this happen to me with the 13 inch... every single one at best buy had some sort of imperfection on the finish. And that's just not the way I roll. If it is misaligned, get that replaced and talk to a manager if they pull some crap "restocking fee". These computers are SOOOO expensive and it is arrogant for suppliers to think a consumer would be ok with less than perfection out of the box.

5. brianfast thread starter macrumors regular

I bought it from the Apple store. I guess I will go there tomorrow and ask for an exchange.

6. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

You'll be more convincing if you kept every piece of plastic and put it back on. It'll put it in their minds that you haven't really used it. And as soon as they mention restocking fee, "there's nothing physically wrong with it", or anything that will cost you more money, don't even bother with an employee and ask for a manager. Stay strong, don't be an ass, but make sure he or she knows it is "unacceptable". They don't like that word and it will get you far. Trust me I went through ALL of best buy's stock (the one I ended up getting still has a small mark at the bottom in the inside in certain lighting :mad::mad::mad:). Make sure you can open the new one in the store and check every aspect about it.

7. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

And don't ask for an exchange, respectfully demand it. Trust me, they don't want to let you exchange so you have to trap them in a corner without being disrespectful.

8. Reapur macrumors regular

There is no restocking fee for direct exchanges. Just for returns.

9. brianfast thread starter macrumors regular

When I go to the Apple store do I need to bring the box and everything that came with it, or will I just swap laptops?

Also, should I schedule a "genius" meeting for this - or can I just walk right in?

Thank you, I am new to Apple.

10. Reapur macrumors regular

Go here... http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

You can never just walk into the Genius bar with no appointment.

then take everything the computer came with back to the store just like they gave to you when you bought it. This is so serial numbers match the box etc so when you decide to sell the computer in a few years you have all the original accessories and everything matches. Show the issue to the person helping you, and kindly demand an exchange stating you paid over a thousand dollars for something that should be without manufacturing defects.

Its not rocket science just common sense...

11. brianfast thread starter macrumors regular

I just want to thank everyone that replied to my thread. I got a new Macbook and it is aligned to my satisfaction.

Edit: Just a note , the new Macbook pro lid is also misaligned, but much less so. I don't think there is a perfect Macbook Pro out there... I don't want to take my chances at the apple store again and risk getting an even worse one.

12. Ann P macrumors 68020

Congrats, I'm glad it worked out for you. Peace of mind.

13. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

You'd think so right? NOPE!!!! Sorry, I am still pissed that I have to deal with a mark on my computer that I didn't make.

14. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

+1 :D