MacBook Pro lid POPS!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Prelude2elude, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Prelude2elude macrumors member

Prelude2elude

Hey everyone, my computer is approaching its 1 year applecare mark and i noticed this started to happen. At the bottom right of the hinge it makes a loud popping noise. Has anyone got this fixed from Apple?

How long does it take? This is my only computer and i use it for school throughout the week.

Here is my computer and this is what it sounds like.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qIWtFY5NZg

2. parkp81 macrumors member

Just noticed mine's starting to do that as well and I have 2010 13".

3. pricej636 macrumors 6502

Yup, mine too. 2010 13".

If I had an apple store anywhere close to me I would have taken it in already. Too bad the closest one is two hours away.

4. Prelude2elude thread starter macrumors member

Prelude2elude

I might have to take mine in to Apple in Orland Park or Michigan Avenue. I would like to know the return rate though.

5. pricej636 macrumors 6502

I would guess that something just needs adjusted and could be done in store. If they have to send it out it could take a day or two or up to a couple weeks depending on whats wrong. If you decide to take yours in let me know what they say, I might have to make a trip.

6. parkp81 macrumors member

Update for everyone:

I dropped off my 13" 2010 mbp and just got it back from repair and all is well. Took 3 days, which to me was very fast turnaround from the day I dropped it off and till the day I got it back.

Repair summary paper says:

Item: 620-4943 Display Panel or Assembly was replaced.

Take it in if you are having this issue, mine is now smooth no noise.:D

7. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

ahhhhh just hose it with spray lube:D:D

I KID I KID...sounds like hinge is tight.Mine was doing that before they replaced my display for another issue. It's all better now.

8. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Mine too! My hinge was very tight, and would creak all the time. I had tons of dust under my display, so they replaced the entire display assembly (including aluminum lid, hinges, and all)! No more dust or creaking!

9. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

If you're still under warranty, take it to your nearest Apple Store, I'm sure they'll replace your display assembly

10. pricej636 macrumors 6502

Just wanted to update this thread.

I made the two hour trek to the Apple store in Indianapolis today from Central IL since I had some work to do over that way anyway.

Ive never had work done at the apple store, but I must say I am impressed. The tech said they would replace the entire screen assembly for the hinge popping. They are also replacing the top case because I mentioned I have been having some issues with the keyboard backlight and the enter key, which is completely awesome because there was a small dent on the top case from a co-worker dropping something on it. They also don't have to ship it off, they have the parts in stock and it should be done in a few days.

So I'll have a new MBP again minus the bottom cover and the logic board!

11. parkp81 macrumors member

12. Prelude2elude thread starter macrumors member

Prelude2elude

awesome, thanks guys. I'm going to make an appointment soon, 3 days is not bad at all.

13. pricej636 macrumors 6502

They had mine done in 24 hours, but they did it at the store and had the parts in stock.

14. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Definitely a good idea to have made that appointment, get a replacement while it's still gonna be free ;)

My old iPhone 3G developed a crack on the dock port at 11 months 22 days old, got that replaced pronto :D