Macbook Pro Lid/screen always wants to shut?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by charlestrippy, Nov 7, 2008.

1. charlestrippy macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

I'm trying to see if this is just on my computer or not, but is your Macbook Pro lid/screen flimsy... meaning, if you lift your computer up and tilt it down, does your lid wanna close (falls easily)?

I had to last gen mbp for 2 years and it would still hold itself up.... is this happening with everyone on the new mbp's or is mine not holding itself up and I need to get that fixed (it's only a week old)

2. virtuatony macrumors regular

Mine does that on the new one, I think it's just how the new ones are.

3. south8212 macrumors 6502

yes all of them do this, its just the glass making the lid heavier. However, when the lid is close to being shut you can move it around and it will not. Also compared to previous mbp models this has to be the best hinge design they have come out with.

4. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Yes, it's normal. Someone has even been told by Apple Executive Relations (the people who usually answer sjobs@apple.com) that the hinge is supposed be less stiff than the older ones.

5. tonhe macrumors newbie

I'm glad to see others have this issue as well.. I just got my new MBP today and was not exactly happy to see that the hinge was so loose.

Although, I also seem to have non-level fucntion/escape keys. (at least esc-f9/f10 are higher on the right side)

I guess I'll take it to the apple store and see if I can get some assistance with that..

-Tony

6. eleven2brett macrumors regular

This isn't something that they can fix is it? Tighten the hinges or something?

7. bcaslis macrumors 68020

It's not loose and it's not an issue. It's supposed to be like this. Take an old 15" and adjust the angle. While it stays put, it's very stiff for adjusting it in certain situations. Now compare the new 15" and the 17". You'll see that they are similar in requiring much less effort to adjust the angle. The new 15" won't change angle unless you are throwing it around or putting it at a very steep angle. But you can adjust the angle with one finger to get it exactly where you want.

Anything Apple changes something, everyone seems to assume it's broken. Sometimes changes are for a reason.

8. bilbo--baggins macrumors 6502a

It's an issue for me. Every time I stand up or pick up the MBP (when the screen is open) the screen swings and abruptly hits the fully-open point. Surely this is going to break the hinge sooner or later. Also slightly annoying to have to reposition the screen each time.