MacBook Pro lid wi-fi?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JDee, Jul 3, 2009.

1. JDee macrumors 6502a

Hi there,

Whenever I close the lid on my MBP 13" - it automatically turns the Wi-Fi off??

Is there any way to stop this?

Also - when I close my MBP lid, when I open it I want it to display the log in screen. I've tried everything (I think) in system preferences but can't find anything to sort it out.

Thanks.

2. jck1634 macrumors regular

jck1634

When you close the lid on the MBP, it automatically puts the computer to sleep. Thats why your WiFi gets turned off. I'm not sure theres anything you can do about this. Regarding the other issue, inside System Preferences go into [SECURITY] and check the box for [REQUIRE PASSWORD TO WAKE THIS COMPUTER FROM SLEEP] that'll make sure a login screen shows whenever you open the lid.

If you want the login screen to show when you turn the computer on then make sure you have Automatic login disabled within Accounts.

3. hr10 macrumors member

You need to go to security under preference. The first option should allow you to choose whether you want a log in screen or not when the computer wakes up.
    Regarding the wifi the machine is sleeping anyways when the lid is closed. Does it matter whether wifi is on or off?

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Caffeine or InsomniaX will stop it from going to sleep.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't think Caffeine will stop the machine from sleeping when the lid is closed.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

and if you manage to keep wifi on with lid closed you will be running down the battery faster.

7. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

The point he is trying to make is he wants to leave the computer on when he closes the lid. I understand where he's coming from; If I want to download torrents overnight or such, I want to just be able to close the lid and let it run.

8. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

It does, does it not? I've used both and personally like Caffeine more...

9. JDee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, for example... the other night I was downloading a Maths program and had to leave the screen on all night on charge.

10. Z06jerry macrumors regular

You can set your display to sleep in System Prefs>Energy Saver.