Macbook Pro Life Expectancy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CasiLindberg, Aug 8, 2008.

1. CasiLindberg macrumors member

I have been looking around the internet for reviews, pros and cons about the macbook pro. And what has really caught my eye and worried me is that there have been many reported cases that the Graphics Processing Unit in the macbook pro is defective. Because of this the lifespan of the macbook pro has been decreased drastically and I am not in the position to take the mac to a apple store easily.

I do not want to spend such a large amount of money on a laptop knowing that there is a large possibility that it will not last as long as I would hope.

Because of this, I have actually been thinking of buying a windows based machine.

Advice would much be appreciated, and more knowledge about this GPU defect

Regard Casi :D

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Steve says they're fine, as some of my more recent posts show.

Since this statement is becoming more ludicrous by the day, just wait for the update. They won't keep the 8600M GT around.

3. jroller macrumors regular

There is a report that the issue is NVIDIA's and not Apple's (or even limited to Apple, as HP and Dell have the same problem).

Wait for the update and buy your MBPro.

4. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Yes, Nvidia GPU's are known to have problems therefore if you can wait for the next revision which is also supposed to have a new case. You should then be ok.

5. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

Aren't all Rev A products risky buys though?
    Even IF the new MBPs DO come out next month, for all we know that thing could have a whole new basket of problems. =S

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I know... that's why I said they won't keep it around... because of the problem that Steve says is non-existent.

7. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...that is a lot of FUD. Yes, *sometimes* an issue may come up but it is hardly a chronic problem and it gets greatly exaggerated much of the time. I've bought countless "rev A" items and I have never had any problem at all....oh yeah!

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

The first two times I had an Apple notebook repaired was via mail. You call them, they priority overnight you a box to return your notebook with, you priority overnight it back (for free), they fix it and priority overnight it back to you.

First time I did that, it took less than 48 hours. Second time took 3 days.

So you don't have to take it to an Apple store in order to get it repaired.

Both were Rev A products. (MacBook Pro that had the cpu whine, LCD buzz and was insanely hot, and MacBook that had the random shutdown syndrome). Apparently I'm not as lucky as Duff Man, although all of those issues were reported frequently on the forums. Unlike the current MacBook Pro GPU issue that you're worried about.

9. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

Well, couldn't someone who has had a MBP that has never failed say the same thing about its' GPU failures? =/

10. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

You cannot go by forums on this, as they magnify the problem greatly. I have know many people happy with their revision A Stuff. There are still many Core Duo MacBook and MacBook Pro users who have not had a problem.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Sorry Duff-man, but these forums are flooded with threads about problems with rev A items. Look no further than the MacBook/MacBook Pro iMac forums for proof. It's my own rule to thumb to NEVER buy rev A. It's just not a good idea, especially if one has limited funds and is counting on a product to last more than a year. While this has nothing to do with the MBP, look how many people got burned price-wise on the iPhone. I also bought a rev A iPod Shuffle- dumb, from a price POV. I bet the MacBook Air comes down in price a lot too in the next rev, if they can actually figure out a way to get that lame, ugly product above 2 Ghz.

BTW- I usually buy rev C or D products. I have never had one problem with an Apple computer that wasn't user serviceable.