Macbook pro light dimming question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MikeonTV, Apr 16, 2010.

1. MikeonTV macrumors regular

I just bought a Macbook Pro thats only a couple months old. It has 10.6.3 on it.

I have a couple questions about both the dimming of the display as well as the keyboard lights.

If I hit F5 or F6 I can change how bright the light is on the keyboard but there are times when there are no lights on the keyboard and if I hit F5/F6 there is a "cancel" icon on the screen.

Also occasionally the screen goes dim and then brightens up on it's own. I see no reason why the screen changes (ie closing the laptop lid, hitting any buttons, ect.) It seems to just happen randomly (same with the keyboard lights)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There's an ambient light sensor right next to the iSight. If you put your hand in front of it, you'll find you can adjust the keyboard brightness however you want.

LabTick is a program that lets you adjust the brightness regardless of the ambient light sensor.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The iSight on the top of your MacBook Pro has also a sensor inside which determines the brightness of the room (flash a light onto it or hold your hand in front of it) and if the room is to bright, the keyboard backlight is disabled.

The keyboard and display are also set to automatically adjust to the brightness level in the room.

That can be switched off in System Preferences > Keyboard and Displays.

4. MikeonTV thread starter macrumors regular

I see. So there is no way to have the keyboard always illuminated even if the room is bright?

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Did you even read my post? :confused:

6. MikeonTV thread starter macrumors regular

I'm sorry. I have read your post. I didn't understand it when I replied the first time.

Anyways I realize now that it's just something that didn't take long to get used to. I tried Labtick and something called InsomniaX but they both seem to be CPU hogs.

Once again Apple has quickly trained me to love something I was confused about.

I feel so enlightened! (get it?)