MacBook Pro - Likely Graphics Card Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Brett McD, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Brett McD macrumors newbie

Please help me out. I have a MacBook Pro and I have had a graphics issue that has been intermittent but steady over the past at least six months.

The screenshots make everything clear - when scrolling down I get inverted and different colors in the screen.

The last four images are a progression as I scroll down and up. It isn't limited to any specific applications.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://imgur.com/YznSI.png[/ITMG]
    [img]http://imgur.com/Pa9Ya.png
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have plenty more screenshots if you want to see them.

I did an OS reinstall as recommended by the Apple Store Genius and it didn't work.

If there is a fix for this or if you can help me understand what is happening, I would love to hear it.

Thanks so much! I am more than happy to answer any and all questions.

2. celticpride678

3. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Looks like a GPU failure, do you have applecare?

4. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

How exactly did you take the screenshots?

As far as I thought, with a broken GPU the computer would not notice and the screenshots would look fine. (that is of course if you took them with igrab or the screen capture command)

5. Brett McD thread starter macrumors newbie

I am still technically under the one year warranty period- it expires on the 15th so I am going to take it into the Apple Store tomorrow.

I took the screenshots using the shift-control-3 shortcut. If I mouse over the area with the distorted color, then it returns to normal.

I am currently running extended diagnostics. Will that confirm the GPU failure? I am tied to the laptop all day basically so I want to minimize the amount of time without it.

6. Brett McD thread starter macrumors newbie

Just finished running Diagnostics from the Applications Install DVD. No trouble found.

7. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

probably a gpu issue, when i had a pc and when i ran gpu tasks the picture would stretch across my screen or these red dots would be on my screen
    you should get it checked out fellow edmontonian :)

8. Brett McD thread starter macrumors newbie

For anyone out there that's having the same issue, I brought the machine to the Apple Store and they replaced the logic board and the display. Out of warranty that would have been $1600 with labor - about $750 for display - where the whole top part of the computer was replaced, $750 for logic board and $100 labor. Picked up the computer and when I first tried using it at home ethernet wouldn't work, said I had no AirPort card, when I clicked shut down it would restart (happened consistently three different times) and when it was asleep with the lid closed the fan would start going for a few seconds intermittently. Took it back to the store and they're replacing the whole machine.

Strongly recommend testing your computer yourself before you leave the Apple Store.