Macbook pro Line-in not being recognised, anyway around this?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Bigyouth, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Bigyouth macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have been trying to use a phono/mic preamp through my macbook pro to record on garageband however the laptop is not recognising that there is a line-in, it thinks they are headphones. The computer has only one jack, which is used for both line-in and line-out, there used to be a function on older computers to select what the jack would be used for, line-in or line-out, however this has been since removed.

I have plugged the preamp into an apple computer with a dedicated line-in and it has worked fine.

Is there anyway I can get the computer to recognise the preamp? Could a RCA-to-USB adaptor work perhaps?

Thanks,
    Bigyouth

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Click in "about this mac" user the apple icon in the upper left of the screen, then "more info" then "system report"

Finally look at the Audio section of the report and see if your Mac has Line in. Some don't.

In either case, even if you have it you are best off using a real audio interface plugged into USB/Firewire (likely USB if you are only doing two tracks) Price for a good one, that your actually want (Mackie, Presonus, MOTU, Focusrite are all top brands.) is about $150 although you can find cheaper.

3. Bigyouth thread starter macrumors newbie

Its a 13-inch mid-2012 macbook pro.. and yeah, no line-in... I realise that a USB interface would be better but I do not have the means to acquire one at the moment.

Is it at all possible with my current equipment?

If I were to plug it into the USB port with an adaptor, could it work? I imagine usb headsets which have microphones work fine; in fact the audio jack is supposed to be a combination audio port which works for that exact purpose.

Attached Files:

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

THat's a TRRS to dual TRS adaptor. Would work but you only have one input channel. So you can't record stereo. Also I don't think it is line level it is what they call mic. level but you can address that by turning down the level on the preamp.

What are you recording. Voice? old 78 RPM records? It could work of that. HiFi Stereo, not.