Macbook Pro -Lion, Wifi issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Uchiroi, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Uchiroi macrumors newbie

Hey guys, well I finally got my macbook pro (bought for christmas so new model) and its beautiful. Im having weird issues with the wifi however, I realise that lots of people have issues with wifi on lion and MBP but mine don't seem to match anybody else's i have found so I thought I would put it out there for others to help.

Basically my wifi will work fine until I move out of a certain distance, if i try to connect from there I will get connection timeout error even tho the wifi shows all bars full. My mothers macbook air/other devices will work at a distance my MPB wont.
    If I connect to my wifi close then walk away with my laptop, it will work for a time then just stop, if i try to reconnect/or do diagnostics i will get a connection timeout error. If i try to connect from "too far away" I will just automatically get the message connection timeout even tho if i connect and walk away my wifi will work.
    And finally, if I change my wifi password settings, I'm currently using WPA2-PSK to anything else/even if i turn them off I can connect to it but only for a small amount of time then I'll get a similar issue to what I had before, where the wifi would drop.

I've just about had enough of this now so I figured I'd pass it on to you fellas see if you could help me! :)
    If you want me to post specs I will do but I didn't see how it would help!

Any help you guys could give would be much appreciated! :)

P.S. Sorry if this isn't the right section to post in I'm new to the forums :3

2. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

Try zapping your PRAM, NVRAM, and the System Management Controller (SMC).

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)
    Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

3. mickpearcey macrumors member

mickpearcey

I've experienced this issue too... My problem turned out to be some sort of electrical interference.

My wifi would cut off when I'd sit in the lounge next to a suround sound speaker which is in the corner beside the sofa, I unplugged the speaker and I haven't had the issue since.

Do you have anything in that part of the house which could interfere with it?

4. Uchiroi thread starter macrumors newbie

Mick, no I'm afraid I don't have anything that could interfere with my signal. and the fact that my mum's macbook air seems to work whilst my macbook pro doesn't suggests its nothing like that :/ Thanks for the suggestion!

Zapping my pram etc seemed to work for awhile! Like a couple of hours but I seem to have the issue again I haven't done the smc yet i'll give it a go now!

Any other suggestions?

5. 700-Grizz macrumors 6502

700-Grizz

Preyty simple I think! You stated your moms Mac/other devices air works perfect, there may be some hardware issues with your notebook wi-fi.....Take it back to Apple and tell them that, they will probably give just you a new one since its brand new. If Im not mistaking you have to Jan 19 to take it back for a refund because of Xmas! Use that if they dont want to help you, just say hey give my money back then

6. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

seriously, there are threads on this forum, and all over the web, about this.

have similar issues on my new mbp, while my GF (on a 2008 mb) has NONE of these problems...and we're both running 10.7.2.

hoping apple has a fix coming in 10.7.3...

7. sigbiz macrumors member

sigbiz

Me too

Just bought my first Macbook pro because everyone told me that 'everything just works' - well it does not! Specifically the WiFi drops. Sometimes it goes for a while ok other times it drop once every couple of minutes. Just to add insult to injury on some occasions it has also lost the password despite I having ticked the remember option each time.

This is in a house with a wifi hub that works fine with the older PC notebooks and my iPhone (2 out of three which are n standard connections). If I go to network settings and choose diagnostics and let it walk through it does not find anything wrong and always manages to connect. On the other hand if i just click on the network I want from the list I can sometimes be sitting there a long time clicking before it connects.

8. mlotia macrumors newbie

At a distance Lion wifi connectivity is unstable

I'm having exactly the same problem and it's clearly a distance related issue. I'm trying to resolve between a MBP, MBA brand new, and as a control, a MBWhite running OS X 10.4.11

The MBWhite runs perfectly, but in the same location, the MBP and MBA running Lion 10.7.3 keep losing their wifi connection and giving me the timeout error. The only way to connect is to move the machines closer to the time capsule. As a further control, our 3 iPhone 4s and my iPad 1 are having no trouble at all.

I'm feeling murderous. I've tried everything. The new location defiinition, manual DHCP, reset of router and keychain access etc etc.

I'm feeling extremely let down by Apple at the moment.

9. mark28 macrumors 68000

10. nangariel macrumors member

Try this: Delete all the preferred wifi networks in system preferences / network / wifi / advanced; also delete all saved wifi passwords in the keychain. Restart your MacBook and connect again to your wifi.

11. nangariel macrumors member

Also, try changing the channel on which the hotspot is broadcasting.

12. shootist macrumors regular

Although you may find all kinds of fixes and or work around's all over the net for this problem the simple fact is Lion is broken on some Mac computers. Whether they are notebooks or desktop/all in one units.

There is no, not one clear cut, solution. Some have changed routers, channels, security settings and got it to work. But the funny (Sad) part is that every other piece of WiFi equipment connects with no problems, even other Apple hardware, except for Mac's running Lion. As noted above someone installed Snow Leopard and the problem stopped. That is on the same hardware that had the problem with Lion installed.

All Apple says is "It's your Router" "It's your Settings" "It's anything other then their screwed up Operating system".

13. nangariel macrumors member

shootist, while I agree with everything you said, I must also say that changing the channel made all the difference in my case. Seems to me that Macs running Lion are somehow more sensitive to interference on the same channel than other devices :confused:

14. greezychicken macrumors member

I'm having this connection time out error as well with my MBP 2011 13". It happens when I wake from sleep as well as random times while connected in my bedroom. I experienced this before and thought 10.7.3 fixed it for a while but apparently not. My iPad and iPhone never have connection issues anywhere in my apartment. I've tried zapping the scm but that didn't seem to do anything.

15. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I think I've had the same problem too. My laptop seems to lose WiFi signal several times a day when in my room (always within the same few ft), but the signal strength indicator is only ever on full bars or none if it loses signal for a few minutes. I just assumed I was on the periphery of the router's signal reach and that the strength indicator is simply inaccurate. It's happened on two MBP models (2010 & 2011), and on both Snow Leopard and Lion.

16. phinn macrumors newbie

I'm having the same/a similar issue. I just purchased my MBP about 4 weeks ago. Until 2 nights ago, everything was working fine. Now I also get the "Connection Timeout" message, and I can no longer connect at all. I haven't moved my laptop, it's still sitting on my bed about 5 feet from my router. I've tried a number of "fixes" that I've seen posted, and haven't had luck with any of them. I am so, so frustrated!