Macbook Pro, locate password protections (bought off Ebay)

Sivar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2015
Hi everyone, i am a new member to the MacRumors forum.
I have read a lot of information about the Iphone, which i own.

Now i purchased myself a Macbook Pro off Ebay.
Before buying the Pro,i purchased a Macbook Air on Ebay.
After receiving the Macbook Air from a seller on Ebay, i tried to restore the OS.
While trying to restore i got a full lock on it. What i read here, the lock is called EFI pass code protection. After contacting the seller, i received a refund.

But now i am trying to locate any password protection on my Macbook Pro before further use.
How am i able to locate any password protection on this Pro?
So i can contact the seller in any case of password protection.

(Model Macbook Pro Retina 2013 A1502)
Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Hi everyone, i am a new member to the MacRumors forum.
I have read a lot of information about the Iphone, which i own.

But now i purchased myself a Macbook Pro off Ebay.
Before this i purchased the Macbook Pro, i purchased a Macbook Air.

While i received the Macbook Air from a seller on Ebay while i tried to restore the OS on the Air, i got a full lock on it. Which i read here, it is called EFI pass code. I contacted the seller, and he took back the Macbook and i got a refund.

But now i tried to locate if the Macbook Pro has any password protection before further use. How can i locate what password protection is activated so i can contact the seller.

I hope i have explained my question for other members to understand, if not please don't hesitate to ask any questions, any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance
To see whether there's an EFI lock on it, restart the MBP Hold down the Option key during the boot chime. If there is a password field displayed, there is an EFI lock.

Sivar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2015
Thanks for the quick reply.

If i understand correctly, i start up the Macbook and i press and hold the ALT key. Here i get a screen where i see my harddrive, after pressing it, it boots up the OS.