Macbook Pro Logic Board Broken how Transfer Data?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eileenhedi, May 11, 2011.

1. Eileenhedi macrumors newbie

Hi,

My macbook pro's logic board is broken. I just bought an external hard drive and would like to transfer my files onto it. How can I do this when I can't even turn on my computer? I know it's possible, because someone did it for my friend a while ago.

I would really appreciate any tips!!! Thank you!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can always remove your hard drive from your MBP and put it in an external enclosure, so it can be accessed by another computer.

3. simsaladimbamba

Do you have another Mac?
    If so, why not extract the HDD from the MacBook (quite easy*) and put it into an enclosure for 2.5" S-ATA HDDs and connect it to that other Mac. Such enclosures can be had for 10€ if USB is enough for you.

* In the following FAQ are guides on how to replace HDDs from a variety of MBs and MBPs.
    MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

If you have only a Windows PC, you can do the same, but need to use MacDrive to read HFS+ formatted HDDs in Windows. There is a seven day trial available, but I think it only allows reading from HFS+ formatted volumes and not writing to it.

Could Target Disk Mode help?

4. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

I would go with what GGJ said. Get a 2.5" SATA enclosure (basically an empty external hard drive) and put your macbook's hard drive in there. Cheap, no computer necessary and everything is available immediately should you need any of it. Also protects the drive until and after you decide to repair/replace the computer