Macbook Pro logic Board Failure Rate

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbook, Jun 22, 2010.

1. macbook macrumors newbie

I've purchased a Macbook Pro 13" Brand New from Apple last year, and now comes the deadline for whether or not I need to purchase the AppleCare.

My question is this: I am quite competent in performing PC repairs, the only thing that would really be worth the Applecare for me is if the logicboard (or some graphics chip on it) failed.

What is the failure rate of people with my generation (First Gen 13" Macbook Pro) for the logic board. I've tried searching google, but couldn't find specific information for my model with the 9400m.

2. Smoothie macrumors 6502

Only Apple knows the answer to your failure rate question, so you'll never find out that answer. I have the same model MBP, and I bought AppleCare the day I got it. I haven't had to use it yet, but it's worth the peace of mind for me.

3. rootsmaneuver macrumors member

just buy it

on eBay. find a seller with a stellar feedback rating and look at some feedback from previous Applecare custys. I've gone the eBay route for the APP and its work every time - for about HALF the price Apple sells for.

you don't want to we saying "i wish I would have..."

even the peace of mind is worth 100 bucks (the going eBay rate)

4. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Dont the sellers on ebay just retract the service after the 45 day paypal grace period?

5. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

not high that i have experienced, i have replaced about a dozen myself, mostly related to bad usb or 9400m's

13" 9400m's

6. jaytee0401 macrumors newbie

I want to chime in on my experience with my brand new MBP. Honestly, ***** will happen no matter how good their quality control is. My one month old mbp 17inch i7 died all of a sudden. I took it into the apple store and the apple genius could not even boot into their diagnostic mode. The logic board was dead. Luckily, they offered to replace it on the spot instead of sending it out for repairs. I did lose the wrapsol skin on the laptop but i think it's acceptable lost.

7. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

yup...and at the price of any part in the macbook pro's apple care is the only way to go.

applecare it up......

8. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

I don't know.... the only part worth*more to me that could possibly break is the logic board. If the screen breaks, chances are they will not fix it. For $180 on a computer worth about $800, i don't know if it's worth it.

9. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Apple in many cases likes to use units, like on the unibody Macbooks/Pros I believe that the keyboard is actually replaced along with the unibody and the displays are one unit that consists of the aluminum top shell, the lcd, the glass and a couple of other components that I can't remember right now. One thing to consider is these units/parts. Generally most non-generic parts are only available from Apple, so although you may be competent at repairing computers that won't help if you can't get the parts.