MacBook Pro Logic Board Failure?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oblow, Jul 22, 2013.

1. oblow macrumors newbie

Mid-2009 Macbook Pro

Using computer just fine all day, never any issues or overheating or trauma. Opened it up from sleep and it lagged-out trying to log in. Restarted the computer and it couldn't find OSX (folder with question mark on it).

I've swapped out my HDD into a friends macbook pro and it boots and works just fine in his. Tried his harddrive in mine and same issue.

Is this a logic board failure? I can boot into recovery mode with my Time Machine backup and go through all operations there except re-installing OSX because OSX can't find a drive to install on. Using disk utility with my OSX recovery disk doesn't show the internal hard drive either.

Logic board failure?

2. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

why jump to the bigger costlier part, try swapping out the hdd cable first its cheaper and available on ebay. You could even go to the service provider or the genius bar to diagnose it, but i would say getting a cable from ebay/powermedic and doing it your self will be cheaper.
    hope you did a smc pram rest as well, that's always the first part of troubleshooting a mac.

3. oblow thread starter macrumors newbie

I just tried using my friend's HDD cable and that didn't help - same exact error. Tried the SMC PRAM reset as well, to no avail.

Any other ideas?

4. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

your friend has the same mid 2009 one right? remove the battery connector for sometime and clean any dust from the connector if any on the logic board. IF still no luck them im afraid it is the logic board. :(