MacBook Pro- Logic board Fried

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maxAlif, Feb 26, 2014.

1. maxAlif macrumors newbie

I bought a Mac Book Pro w/Retina display, 500GB, 16GB Memory, 10.9.1 version in end of Sept 2013 .

In December 2013 the mac started acting up. it started freezing up 10-15 seconds into logging on. The fan started running at a million mph, loud. and the mac would not respond. I took it to the genius bar and they said my logic board was fried and we would replace it (which they did). Since I just started learning PHP programming all my practice programs and notes were lost, I had to use Windows laptop to rewrite my programs and notes. After my mac came back from repair in december, I did not use it for more than 3 times until february since all my work was being done on windows.
    Now when I started using the mac for the past week with just browsing, yesterday the laptop would not turn on, no display. i tried the Shift+option+command Power thingy- NOTHING. Took it to the genius bar AGAIN and he had to open the Mac from the back and reset something, it comes to life and secs later it is back to square one. NO Response. So now the mac genius says most likely the LOGIC BOARD is fried AGAIN and will have to replace it AGAIN
    Thats two fried LOGIC boards in 5 months. Am I dealing with a LEMON. I bought the best laptop that Apple or any manufacturer sells and after all this investment I cannot use it to the fullest. I'm afraid to even put my personal pictures backup on it, since I'm not sure when the Mac will give in AGAIN.
    Is there a LEMON law or something or Can Apple do anything to replace it. Right now my Mac is getting repaired, dont know how long it will last this time around.
    I love the Mac when it is working great, but super upset to take it back twice for repairs.

2. thetman macrumors member

I believe Apple has a policy of 3 repairs of the same part before replacement. Certainly though if you have the patience and time to plead your case to the manager of your Apple Store it can't hurt.

Maybe someone knows: Can a MagSafe charger be outputting too much voltage? Maybe the Genius has a way to test that. After two logic boards I would start trying other parts as well.