MacBook Pro Logic Board Went.....I'm Pissed!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Graceful585, May 28, 2009.

1. Graceful585 macrumors member

Ok...I've had my MacBook Pro will be two years coming up this September. Over the past few weeks it's been freezing up and then giving me the multi language box that says to restart your computer. Apple walked me through utilities repair and then again with Disk 1. The other day I couldn't get past the restart screen and took it to Apple last night. After 40 minutes of testing it etc...the Genius came out and told me it was my Main Logic Board, it needed to be replaced...the bad news it's going to run you about $900 and probably more because of the dent in the corner of your Mac...

I am so upset...who can afford that kind of money after buying one of these machine??? I actually purchased the machine at Fry's Electronics and also bought a 5 year warranty. I know they're going to tell me that the warranty is null and void due the corner of the machine being dented...I spent $500 on a five year warranty and if I had read the fine print better I would have never spent that kind of money on a warranty...the way they word everything, it covers their butt and not the consumers!

Any thoughts, I will probably take it into Fry's to see if they'll honor the warranty...(I know...I should have never let Apple open it up as that disqualifies me right there on the warranty)...but Apple is in Tucson and Fry's is up in Tempe.

I'm crushed...most of you know that I dropped my MacBook onto the tile back several months ago so I'm sure that Fry's is not going to honor my warranty for that fact alone. Any thoughts????

2. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Did you buy it on a credit card such as Amex? I know they offer one additional year on electronics protection. Check out your card's policies.

Good Luck. Let us know how it turns out.

3. Graceful585 thread starter macrumors member

We did purchase it with a credit card, but we also paid $549 for a five year warranty. Just worried that they will not honor that warranty as I dropped it back several months ago and there's a big dent in left hand corner of the keyboard case.

4. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

Those aftermarket warranties don't cover accidental damage? Some of them do I thought.

5. Pivzavod macrumors member

In the worst case, you can change the bottom case (<200$) and then use your warranty for the logic board.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

And if they void your warranty from Fry because of the drop, call the credit card company and tell them to dispute the charge.

7. Graceful585 thread starter macrumors member

Changing the bottom case...is there an identifiable serial numbers on the case? Is this something that Apple would do for that amount or someone who knows Apple...how hard would it be to do? I've never taken my MacBook apart and looks like you need special tools....???

8. Boiler macrumors regular

extent of dent

What kind of cosmetic damages void warranties? Big dents, little dents, scratches?

9. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I'm sure you can find guides online, however I would find someone who has experience if you are worried about breaking it further.

Have you called/visited Fry's to see if it was covered?

Also, do you have any pics of the damage?

10. 3rdLittlePiggie macrumors member

3rdLittlePiggie

Call iResQ, (http://www.iresq.com)I'm not trying to advertise them, but I worked for them, and they will be able to fix the case for you so then you can take it to Apple and have it repaired. That would be the best idea.

11. Graceful585 thread starter macrumors member

Acutally if you search my posts you'll see the post with pictures posted of the damage. I''m still debating whether to get the case fixed first and then take it in to be repaired for the Logic Board.

12. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

I would be really surprised if it was NOT covered. They are going to want to compete with the Best Buys, Comp USA's, etc. of the world. All of those are accidental damage protection as well. Also, considering the amount you paid, over $500...that is almost twice as much as AppleCare! Probably able to sell it to you because of accidental damage. Not Sure. But definitely find that original receipt and take it in.

Good Luck

13. m1stake macrumors 68000

AppleCare has never been offered as a 5 year plan. I think you bought a Fry's protection plan, which means you should be talking with Fry's. What you might be doing essentially is paying for Blue Cross insurance and calling Aetna for your service. Aetna doesn't give a damn about your policy with a company that isn't Aetna, and even if it did it can't do anything for you. Find out who the warranty is by.

14. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Apple has - I suspect - noted the serial number of your laptop as being damaged > "the bad news it's going to run you about $900 and probably more because of the dent in the corner of your Mac..."

A new bottom will not necessarily get Apple to replace the logic board under warranty.

If Frye's warranty covers accidental damage than they may cover it all.

ifixit for a new bottom and then to Frye's for a logic board????

15. Graceful585 thread starter macrumors member

I checked for my Santa Rosa 2.4 ghz Core 2 Duo and they don't have it in stock. I've also emailed the other suggestion a few posts above yours to see how much it would cost to have them replace the casing.

Does anyone know if there is a serial number on the casing itself???

Thank you for all the help, I really appreciate your knowledge!!

16. chgojcs macrumors member

17. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

This wont help you -- but it might help others. Get Best Buy's black tie coverage, 349 for 3 years, covers spills and drops as well.

When purchasing a lap top one definitely needs accident insurance.

18. SpitzerCR macrumors regular

19. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Have the credit card compant remove the charge from the extended warranty if they void it.

Sell the MBP on eBay, upgrade to a Unibody. At least that's what I would do. Sucks that you have to spend a couple hundred no matter what option you choose. Sorry man.

20. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

I doubt the credit card company will remove a two year old charge from the card if the extended warranty provisions excludes accidental damage.

This suggestion is made frequently. In many many many cc purchases I have only had 1 occasion to dispute a charge - with AX - and they would not budge as the item I purchased was authorized but not as advertised - they told me it was a contract issue between me and the vendor.

That was on an AX Platinum that I had used for so many years :eek: :eek:

No longer an AX customer after that - I was very surprised at their rigidity.

21. Graceful585 thread starter macrumors member

Well after doing some searching on the Fry electronic warranties, I found a lot of negative feedback on their warranties and the time it takes them to fix things is months and then not always done due to wording in the contracts.

I don't want to mess with months and so I'm considering sending it to (http://www.iresq.com) that someone else had recommended on this thread. My ex purchased the warranty and Mac at Fry's and I'll just bite that loss on the warranty to get it repaired quicker and it seems it would be a bit more cost effective than taking it to the MAC store.

22. Hubbu macrumors newbie

I have no clue why the Genius would say it's $900 to replace a logic board! My logic board went bad last month too. I got it replaced for $310 through Apple (before tax) because my MBP was out of warranty. I have a MBP 15" 2.16Ghz C2D.

23. Graceful585 thread starter macrumors member

24. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

That is a bad dent. You can try to replace the bottom case and straighten out the top. You can also try to fix the bottom case. The aluminum is pretty malleable.

25. wesrk macrumors 6502a

that really sucks, I'm also in tucson right now and my logic board just died on me last friday, took it to la encantada and I'm without a computer for a week.