Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kristenn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
Well... anyway. I'm back. Had a bad flue for like a week. Anyway... I was planning on getting my hard drive replaced because it was making that weird noise I talked about and I still am... but. Something else happened to. My friends dog chewed my power cord (just a few bite marks) and it was enough to make the green like really dim so we unplugged it. Instead of trying to fix the cord... we just got a new one but the computer wont turn on!
The light does not turn red green or orange on the plug but the battery light blinks when I unplug the chord (the battery is dead.. all drained i mean).

Me and my mom took the computer to a store that does warranty repairs on both Macintoshes and Windows computers and they said they would replace whatever for free. Like the harddrive maybe the battery if that is what is wrong and the logic board. But well... we kind of never told them my friends dog ate my first power cord >>

I wanted to. but my mom and my friend said they wont replace it for free if we told. I sure hope there is no way they can find out of the 1000 for a new logic board is true. We dont even have that kind of money right now!

But do you think the couple seconds of not enough power from the chewed cord might have shorted out my psu or something?

Im just curious. I know my friend has a friend that took his laptop in for a similar problem... yesterday or the day before.

Thanks! :eek:

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
But do you think the couple seconds of not enough power from the chewed cord might have shorted out my psu or something?

Anything's possible, but I don't find that likely. A damaged power cord should never damage the computer. You can rest easy in the knowledge that if you buggered something up, it was already broken but not misbehaving when you got it.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Could be a problem with the port, the power board, the logic board... any number of things. Why don't you let them tell you when you take the computer in for repair?

Kristenn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
I was just curious to see if my guesses were right. But I got it back today. It was the logic board. My dad said the lack of power to the computer shorted the logic board out. But I am sooo happy to have my Macintosh back! ^^

Kristenn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
Well thats what my dad said happen. Thats why we got a new power cord. The other one was so damaged I guess that it just killed the computer ><

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.