MacBook Pro Loses 1%/hr While Asleep - Is this normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrMan112, Oct 31, 2009.

1. MrMan112 macrumors member

I bought a 13" MacBook Pro a few weeks ago, and have been noticing that I lose 1% of charge for every hour of sleep. For the most part this isn't terribly noticeable, but when I'll go to work for about 10 hours and come home with the charge 10% less, which is pretty significant.

Theres nothing that I'm aware of that could potentially wake the computer up while I'm gone. I also just calibrated the battery, and it's still doing the same thing. Health is at 100%, 13 cycles.

Is this a common issue? I couldn't find anything about it while searching and I didn't notice this wth any previous Mac portable I've owned. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!

2. celticpride678

That’s actually a pretty good number. There is nothing wrong and this will happen.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Perfectly normal. I don't know if it's exactly 1 percent but give or take per hour. People forget that the computer is still on but drawing very little power so it makes sense that the battery will lose power over time.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

That is normal for any Intel based PC, Apple or otherwise. If you can get ahold of a PPC based iBook/Powerbook, you'll find that they seem to hold their charge a lot longer while in sleep. I guess that's the nature ofthe x86 CPU.

5. chill. macrumors 6502

there's a difference between sleeping and hibernate. i think by default, the macbooks will usually go into sleep when you close the lid. this allows them to turn on within seconds of opening the lid back up. i think hibernate saves memory to the hard drive, and will take like 10-20 seconds to start back up.

when i travel a lot, i like to use a preference pane called SmartSleep. it allows you to set hibernate as your default when you close the lid. i had problems with my macbook accidentally turning on while in my bag. SmartSleep avoids this issue and also saves on battery life

if you are concerned with your battery life while asleep i would recommend it

6. Vikz macrumors regular

Vikz

thats perfect!

theoretically it is 1% per hour while in sleep :cool:

7. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

SmartSleep is another option, check to be sure it works with Snow Leopard...

8. MrMan112 thread starter macrumors member

I guess that would make sense as my previous Mac was a PPC.

Thanks!

9. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I normally lose more than that. Much more. But 1% doesn't sound bad at all. If I have a half-charged MacBook Pro and I sleep it for a week, it will die.