Macbook Pro loud fan

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by baardkolstad, Sep 15, 2013.

1. baardkolstad macrumors newbie

Hi guys!
    First of all, my 15'' macbook pro is an early 2011 unibody. I have 8GB RAM, 240GB Solid State SATA and i'm running Mac OX Lion 10.7.5.

I've had this problem for a while, but started trying to fix it now. Just when i'm surfing the web the mac goes up to 80°, and around 5000 rpm. And you may imagine my frustration being a graphic designer and using heavy software.

By now i have cleaned the fans with a can of compressed air, restarted the PRAM and the SMC. Nothing has had any effect. I have also checked the activity monitor for any activities that are using alot of CPU, and found a couple, but none that had any significant effect on the noise. Lastly, i've run a check on disk utilities to check if everything was OK, and it was.

Any other suggestions to how I can fix this?

Also, i'm wondering, does changing the harddrive with an SSD cause applecare to stop being valid?
    Please excuse my bad english and thanks in advance for all help!

2. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Is the problem that your fans are always running, or that the fans are now making noises that they weren't making before? If the fans are making strange noises then it's possible that they're starting to fail. If your issue is that the fans are always running at high speeds, then:

Download gfxCardStatus to find out whether your discrete graphics chip is in use, or if your integrated chipset is. The discrete card significantly raises the temperatures inside of the system (on my late 2011 MBP, simply having the discrete card active and idle raises my idling temperature by 15-20˚C). Some programs improperly activate the discrete card, or activate the discrete card when they don't really need it. You can use gfxCardStatus to force the system to always use the integrated graphics, if you'd like.

Just be aware that some programs that truly need the discrete graphics will have problems if you're forcing integrated-only. Also, don't switch over to integrated-only if a program that has activated the discrete card is running, as the program will likely crash.

Also be aware that powering an external monitor (or a projector) requires the discrete card.

(One final note about gfxCardStatus: the ability to force integrated-only might not be working properly with OS X 10.8; I believe it still works on OS X 10.7. At the very least, it will let you know which graphics card is in use, and if it's the discrete card, it will let you know which program activated it.)

No, AppleCare will still be valid.