Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razanj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2018
Hi,

I have some issues with a MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch Mid 2015. When starting up, both fans instantly go to full speed. It is also extremely laggy and there's a wait time of 5-10 seconds whatever you click. Since I have cleaned the disc completely, I assume this is a hardware issue?

What I have done:
Wiped disc clean + upgraded to High Sierra
Reset SMC + PVRAM
Internal inspection - Removed dust, no sign of damagae or liquid
Lowered fan speed - Fixed the noise but lag still remains same, if not worse
Temperature check - All OK

All tips are openly welcomed

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I almost never assume hardware. It’s probably software, and software usually runs best when left alone to operate as designed. In my opinion, all of this “cleaning” talk is just nonsense. You’re deleting caches and indexes that then need to be rebuilt. Guess what? The computer has to work to do that. If you just leave it alone for a while it’ll complete those tasks and settle down. Then just use it normally. Forget about “maintenance”. None is needed.

Razanj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2018
When you say cleaned the disc do you mean a formating and reinstalling the OS?
That’s correct, sorry for being unclear!
[doublepost=1530030408][/doublepost]
I almost never assume hardware. It’s probably software, and software usually runs best when left alone to operate as designed. In my opinion, all of this “cleaning” talk is just nonsense. You’re deleting caches and indexes that then need to be rebuilt. Guess what? The computer has to work to do that. If you just leave it alone for a while it’ll complete those tasks and settle down. Then just use it normally. Forget about “maintenance”. None is needed.

Thanks for your reply, I should clarify that by ”cleaning” I meant formating and re-install of OS. What could be wrong with the software in this case?

I should also add that fans are steady at ~ 5-6000rpm no matter what processes are running.

Last edited:

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
[doublepost=1530030408][/doublepost]

Thanks for your reply, I should clarify that by ”cleaning” I meant formating and re-install of OS. What could be wrong with the software in this case?
Have you checked Activity Monitor (or other 3rd party app like iStat) to see if there is a process that is consuming a lot of CPU power? I am just guessing but it sounds like this could be a malicious application running your computer CPU, and may also be kicking up the fan speeds.

If nothing pops up when you check Activity Monitor, I'd reach out to Apple to have them check. You've covered most of the basic trouble-shooting that would typically fix the issue you are having.
[doublepost=1530030785][/doublepost]I might also ask, when you reinstalled MacOS, did you do it from a time machine restore, or did you do a complete fresh install? If you used a time machine backup for reinstall, the bug or issue may well have copied itself over to your machine.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
No problem, just making it much easier to figure out what might be wrong since cleaning could have been so many 3rd party software solutions which does more harm then good.

If you have not set up to much yet I would;d just try another formating and re-instalation of the OS.
And if you have installed a lot try see if some of them start with the system and then disable them.

Console can I some cases also be useful to see if a process is failing and retrying constantly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.