MacBook Pro Lovers, Would Love Your Help/Feedback for Hybrid Macbook Case/Stand Idea

TravelBossAcc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2015
Hello MacBook Pro lovers,

I would really appreciate your two cents/feedback here.

I am MacBook Pro owner and lover who wants to make a cool hybrid MacBook case/stand. I have a design ready, but I would love to have your feedback as this will determine if I go through with it or not. If it does go through, I am planning on launching it via KickStarter.

You can view renderings of my product HERE (you can click on the pic in the copy for more pics)

The CaseLift is a hybrid MacBook case/stand that utilize a simple velcro system to lift your MacBook screen.

My questions:

- Would you use it?

- What do you guys think of it in terms of its functionality? Slick? Well thought out? Clunky?

- What are your impression in terms of the looks of the product? Slick? Good design? Cheesy? Corny?

- What would you add/substract from the product to improve it?

- I am planning on selling it around a $60 price point, with $39 being the price for the early birds? What do you guys think of the price point?

- Would you buy it?

I would love to get yall's two cent on this.

Background

I wanted to create this product because I am a nomad and freelance web developer who spends a lot of time staring into a sea of code with bad posture. Because I move around a lot, I am always looking for ways to save space and carry less items in my bookbag. The CaseLift was the answer.
Again, I would appreciate yall's feedback.

Steve121178

macrumors 601
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I don't really see the point in stands and plenty already exist in the market so how is yours different?

If I did buy one, I'd prefer one that's metallic and minimalist.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
I don't use cases or stands, so I wouldn't use it or buy it. But neglecting that, I can still give you my comments:

1. I think a case that converts into a laptop stand is a nice idea, I haven't seen something like that before

2. As a case, it looks very thick to me, which makes it not very appealing. Maybe do a render with a rMBP as well...

3. The edges on the back end (near the hinge) are not protected, so it is not really doing its job as a case

4. The front sleeve that the MBP sits in doesn't look very appealing - but I guess that is still work in progress

5. How is the top flap attached to the screen? Will it block cooling?

Queen6

macrumors 604
Sorry no, as one who frequently travels internationally there are already better options for me, I use a AViiQ Portable Stand on the road, which folds up and weighs next to nothing and RainDesigns mStand`s at home with Apple keyboards.

Your design looks to add a lot of bulk to the Notebook and the keyboard angle when elevated looks to be difficult to deal with. The idea of velcro doesn't overly appeal although I can see what you trying to achieve. If I was to go for a portable stand that significantly elevates the display I would probably look at the "Roost" as once again it has very low weight and folds down to nothing.

Maybe as others have stated it`s just the render, equally whats`s being presented needs to be significantly less bulky, should blend more into the MBP`s aesthetics, nor do I see how the Notebook is supported at the lower angle, as stability is important for typing. As one who does travel frequently the velcro is a real turn off as over time it always seems to lose it`s grip. If I want my primary system to be elevated it must be 100% secure.

Q-6

MCSN

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2012
Kayenta
the graphic rendering for your design is flawless.

if there is velcro, which I didn't quite notice, velcro is hard core, because it picks up lint and I cannot handle it.

the case looks thin and not as bulky as I thought it would be. as it is a case, and not just a stand.

if you had one made that you use and has benefits, then its worthy for the tryouts.

TravelBossAcc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2015
Hey Guys,

These honest feedbacks are really awesome, and I thank you all for it. Really gives me insight to what people are thinking about when looking at my product.

Again. Thanks for the feedback.