Macbook pro low wifi link rate

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TyShawn, May 30, 2016.

1. TyShawn macrumors 6502

MY wife has a mic 2012 non retina MBP. For the last few access points and routers this unit doesn't connect above 300 Mbps. So my question is what card is in this unit? And if it is indeed a 450 card what couldI do to try and get above this limit?

Currently I have an Unifi Ac pro (2nd gen) Access point. I also have a nether R6300v2 for testing and neither has the MBP connecting at that rate. Ive tested different channels and even for testing stood 5-10ft away from the units just to see if it could be done. I'm aware if walls and other outside noise come into play then the link rate will drop. But I was hoping at some point i would see the connection tip above 300. O yes I have the 5Ghz set to 80. I believe IO read somewhere that Apple does't connect that high on the 2.4 band.

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

It does have 802.11n and is capable of 450 Mbps.

In practice you'd be hard pressed to achieve that speed.
    My machine has line of sight to my router 3-4 feet away and it reports 300 Mbps over 5 GHz N.

3. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

Howard2k

How are you validating the connection speed? Did you option-click onto the wifi icon? Or are you talking about throughput?

I can hit 280Mb/s in throughput but my connection speed is between 527Mb/s to 702Mb/s from this desk. Point being that throughput and bandwidth aren't the same.

Not trying to insult your intelligence. :)

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

- I believe we're both talking about the reported connection speed when Option-clicking the Wi-Fi icon.

And yes, actual throughput will naturally be lower.

5. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

Howard2k

:D You say "naturally" but I work in the telecommunications space and I know far more people who don't know the difference between bandwidth and throughput than do know the difference.

I think you're right though. Just worth checking.

6. TyShawn thread starter macrumors 6502

Im able to hit between 200ish to 300 on link rate and 100-121 Mbps on my Iperf 3 tests.