Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

christiaan228

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2023
Hello everyone,

I own a 2021 14” MacBook Pro M1 Max that just turned two years old. I primarily use it for evening office work and occasionally for sorting and editing photos in Adobe Lightroom Classic. Other than that, nothing extraordinary.

The MacBook is usually connected to an additional screen.

After only two years and occasional use (46 cycles), the maximum battery capacity, according to Apple software, is now at 88%. When using Coconut Battery, it shows 83.3%, and when Apple conducts a test in the store, it falls between the Coconut Battery and the internal Apple software readings, approximately 85-86%.

I find this situation quite frustrating, and it appears that there might be an issue with my MacBook's battery. At this rate, it seems like I'll have to replace the battery within the next year. Unfortunately, as many of you may know, Apple's warranty doesn't extend beyond the initial one-year period, which can be quite inconvenient.

Has anyone else encountered a similar issue or had a comparable experience? I would appreciate any insights or advice you might have.

california_kid

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
San Francisco
That is not uncommon for LiON batteries in general. The first 2 years will see the steepest drop, but will stabilize from there. Unless you need that extra 10% or so of battery life, I wouldn't worry about replacing until it drops below 80%.

My Apple Watch dropped to 88% health after about 1.5 years but at 4 years it was at 82%.

Reactions: halledise
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.