Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marisug

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2022
Hi.
I curently use Windows PC with WD19S 130W docking station and tripple monitor.
Can somebody confirm to me if I change PC to macbook M1 max it will work in same style? 3 monitors and charging over one usb-c cable?

Best regrads

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
It seems that there are some hubs/docks that will support multiple displays. I don’t have or need one, I run my external displays directly to the Mac - but your best bet is to check with the manufacturer of the hub/dock you want to use, because there is not a “generic” answer to your question.

Reactions: Basic75

okkibs

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2022
All M1 Max configurations support three external displays (the M1 Pro configs do not). If the dock can do 3 monitors on your other computer, then it can do that on the Mac as well - if the dock is compatible at all. It should be, but I believe Dell does not officially say that their docks are compatible with Macs. So we can't guarantee that the dock is compatible at all. It should work, and I do assume it will work, but unless you try it out you won't know for sure.

Reactions: Tagbert

pukifloyd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Scottsdale
You need a thunderbolt dock to use more than one external display separately (not duplicated/mirrored). MacOS doesn't support MST like Windows, so your options for docks that can do multiple displays with a single connection to the laptop is very limited. Thunderbolt docks are usually more expensive as well.

From the looks of it, the Dell WD19S dock does not support Thunderbolt. The Dell WD22TB4 dock does support Thunderbolt, so you might have to upgrade to that one or choose a different brand's TB dock.

livmatus

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2020
If the dock can do 3 monitors on your other computer, then it can do that on the Mac as well

that's very untrue

macOS is notorious for treating video output / displays differently in general ... e.g. read this https://sebvance.medium.com/everyth...-of-displayport-mst-multi-stream-98ce33d64af4

some docks MIGHT support 2 external displays with Macbook ... you have to try... or google... it depends on implementation of such dock ... some docks (majority?) use MST - which if you read the Medium article apparently doesn't exist for Apple

chances are better when the dock has another Thunderbolt out port - you can use that one and it should work

I highly doubt that any Mac can do 3 external displays over a single Thunderbolt

for the Dell dock mentioned - they state this on Dell website:
"For NVIDIA or AMD discrete graphics, the dock supports three external displays plus the system LCD."

anything else is out of luck imo

Reactions: pshufd

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
that's very untrue

macOS is notorious for treating video output / displays differently in general ... e.g. read this https://sebvance.medium.com/everyth...-of-displayport-mst-multi-stream-98ce33d64af4

some docks MIGHT support 2 external displays with Macbook ... you have to try... or google... it depends on implementation of such dock ... some docks (majority?) use MST - which if you read the Medium article apparently doesn't exist for Apple

chances are better when the dock has another Thunderbolt out port - you can use that one and it should work

I highly doubt that any Mac can do 3 external displays over a single Thunderbolt

for the Dell dock mentioned - they state this on Dell website:
"For NVIDIA or AMD discrete graphics, the dock supports three external displays plus the system LCD."

anything else is out of luck imo

This is why I got a Studio for my desktop instead of trying to use my MacBook Pro with multiple external monitors. It's just a lot easier to leave all of the monitors plugged in to a stationary desktop.

okkibs

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2022
Okay, that might be a problem I haven't seen yet. MST is indeed not supported by MacOS afaik. I just assumed if the USB dock itself has the display ports then it should work, mine with 2 outputs works. Perhaps there is no such dock with 3 outputs that is MacOS compatible.

That doesn't mean much, there are Macs with discrete AMD graphics that wouldn't necessarily be supported either. They probably just don't test Macs at all.

OP could just plug in the third display directly in the second USB port on the left side. Might need an entirely different USB hub though.

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
For 3 monitors it is easier to do it via DisplayLink. However you wont be able to use Night Shift on the monitors connected via DisplayLink (supposedly can use F.Lux as an alternative). DisplayLink works quite well for most use cases.

livmatus

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2020
That doesn't mean much, there are Macs with discrete AMD graphics that wouldn't necessarily be supported either. They probably just don't test Macs at all.

I'd suppose that applies do Dell systems. But indeed the OP has to try.

For 3 monitors it is easier to do it via DisplayLink. However you wont be able to use Night Shift on the monitors connected via DisplayLink (supposedly can use F.Lux as an alternative). DisplayLink works quite well for most use cases.

After DisplayLink recently added F.Lux support, it might be an okay experience - I as well use F.Lux over Night Shift now... however don't dare you watch Apple TV or Netflix and so on while DisplayLink Manager is running :) ...

okkibs

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2022
Colour profiles don't work either via Displaylink. Displaylink also needs a specific displaylink adapter. It usually has displayport or HDMI and specifically says displaylink in the description or specs. Displaylink is usually used when the computer hardware doesn't natively support any more additional monitors, because displaylink works over software. With the M1 Max three monitors are natively suppported though, just not necessarily over a single USB-C hub.

Reactions: livmatus

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
I'm confused by a lot of the responses to this question. My strong belief is the following:
  • M1 MBP Pro chip will support two external displays plus the laptop screen (I ran this set up myself w/ two ASD)
  • M1 MBP Max chip will support three external displays plus the laptop screen
  • There is no need for a doc, however you will need to plug in three cables every time you hook up
  • Yes it will absolutely charge via TB cable if the monitor (like ASD) support it

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I'm confused by a lot of the responses to this question. My strong belief is the following:
  • M1 MBP Pro chip will support two external displays plus the laptop screen (I ran this set up myself w/ two ASD)
  • M1 MBP Max chip will support three external displays plus the laptop screen
  • There is no need for a doc, however you will need to plug in three cables every time you hook up
  • Yes it will absolutely charge via TB cable if the monitor (like ASD) support it

The M1 Max MacBook Pros will support up to 4 external monitors natively:

*This model supports full native resolution on the interior display in addition to up to three external displays up to 6016x3384 (6K) at 60 Hz at over a billion colors and one external display up to 4096x2304 (4K) resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors. -- Everymac

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
The M1 Max MacBook Pros will support up to 4 external monitors natively:

*This model supports full native resolution on the interior display in addition to up to three external displays up to 6016x3384 (6K) at 60 Hz at over a billion colors and one external display up to 4096x2304 (4K) resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors. -- Everymac
Great point. I wasn't counting the HDMI one as I run multiple ASD. But yeah. So easily supports the OP's goals.

okkibs

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2022
There is no need for a doc, however you will need to plug in three cables every time you hook up
Sure that would work, but I think the point here was precisely that they don't want to plug each cable in every time. Not to mention it would take up all three USB-C ports or at least two if using HDMI. On a desktop setup with three monitors there might be a good amount of peripherals as well. And they already have a USB dock at home so it makes sense to keep using it.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Sure that would work, but I think the point here was precisely that they don't want to plug each cable in every time. Not to mention it would take up all three USB-C ports or at least two if using HDMI. On a desktop setup with three monitors there might be a good amount of peripherals as well. And they already have a USB dock at home so it makes sense to keep using it.
I don't know of a doc that can support three 5K displays. But maybe that's not what the OP is after. It's what I want.

okkibs

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2022
I don't know of a doc that can support three 5K displays.
That is impossible with TB3 and TB4 because the maximum bandwith is 40Gbps. Three 5k displays would require a higher bandwidth. I think it is around 20Gbps per 5k display. So even two 5k displays over one Thunderbolt dock is questionable. Thunderbolt 5 should be able to do it since it will have 80Gbps. But you'll need a new Mac for that, and a TB5 dock that states that it supports that.

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
I've seen a couple of thunderbolt docks that can drive three 4K displays with only one connection to the host, but I'm not sure if these would support 5K displays or not. Generally these kinds of hubs rely on DisplayStream compression to avoid bandwidth limitations that might otherwise apply, but even DSC has its limits (often these kinds of setups with multiple HiDPI monitors are limited in the refresh rates they can support, etc).

Would there be any reason in particular for not using a hub to connect two displays and then connecting the third separately to the computer?

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
No, the Dock in question cannot push through three monitors for an Apple MacBook. It is a "simple" USB-C dock with DisplayPort MST passthrough. As mentioned, Apple doesn't support that.

A Thunderbolt 4 dock of reference design (you see the same type of box from most manufacturers, all with almost the same port layout) or the CalDigit TS4 would do the trick, but might be hindered by how high resolution monitors you want to run. You'll need to check tech-specs to verify.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.