Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, or iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TrevorBaum, May 10, 2011.

1. TrevorBaum, May 10, 2011
    Last edited: May 10, 2011

TrevorBaum macrumors newbie

Hello!

So I currently have a Macbook Pro from early 2007 that's still puttering along, but I'd like an upgrade. I'm currently considering these options:

• Macbook Air 13" - 2.13Ghz Core II Duo, 4GB RAM, 256 GB SSD HD
    • Macbook Pro 15" - 2Ghz i7, 4GB RAM, 500GB 5400rpm HD, Hi-Res Glossy Display, Thunderbolt IO
    • iMac 27" - 2.7Ghz i5, 8GB RAM, 1TB HD, Thunderbolt IO

Aside from the usual heavy web browsing, I also use my computer for graphic design work (Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign), type design (FontLab Studio), and watching movies and TV. Being able to play decent games would be awesome, but not necessary. Although I absolutely love having a laptop to bring to friends houses, into bed with me, etc, something really appeals to me about having a beautiful desktop machine that I can really do work on.

Since all three options will cost around the same amount ($1750), and I don't particularly travel very often (although if I had the Air, I would bring it everywhere), which would be best for my usage and lifestyle?

Or, another option: Buy the iMac as my primary computer, and upgrade the battery and the RAM on my current computer (much cheaper than a new laptop) to keep it as my portable.

Thanks! :)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you plan to keep your MacBook Pro, then I would just go with the iMac. It gives you more power which will definitely help you with graphic design work. While MBA is great (I own one), it may not be the best choice if you want it to be faster than your current one.