MacBook Pro / MacBook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrBellamy, Aug 23, 2011.

1. MrBellamy macrumors newbie

I have an 11 inch 2010 MacBook Air that handles Safari, Mail, iTunes, Spotify, Xcode and sometimes some Office Programs open and VMWare Fusion Running Windows with Visual Studio for class (hate running Visual Studio compared to Xcode). Running this my MacBook Air handles everything really easy no slow downs or heat issues.

This term I have to spend almost 12 hours a day on campus so using my MacBook Air without my External Monitor gets a little tiring so I got my MacBook Pro 15 inch 2.4 Ghz Late 2008 out and updated everything since I haven't even touched it since I got my MacBook Air.

The problem is my MacBook Pro struggles with everything it gets really hot and fans run constantly at about 6000 to 6400 and it can't really handle having VMWare with iTunes and Safari.

Just wondering if anyone else experiences this with their MacBook Pro and if theres any fix to make it not get incredibly hot and loud constantly.

Thinking about selling both and upgrading to a new MacBook Pro 15 inch or MacBook Air 13 inch Core i7. Does anyone who has these experience heat issues a lot or loud fans? I don't do anything that intense expect having VMWare, iTunes, and Xcode open, nothing my current Air can't handle.

2. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

How much RAM do you have in that MBP? Fans isn't a sign that it's struggling. Sluggishness is.

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

6000 rpm is a lot.
    What does activity monitor say. Is VMware really creating almost 100% CPU load.
    The 2010 MBA isn't that fast I guess something is wrong with your MBP. If the Air can handle it the MBP should too.

4. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

yeah. i feel like the pro should be able to handle everything the air can and then some...

5. MrBellamy thread starter macrumors newbie

Both have 4 gb Ram.

6. MrBellamy thread starter macrumors newbie

Nevermind this thread anymore I think I'm just going to get a bigger SSD for my macbook air through OWC and stick to the small screen.