MacBook Pro & MacBook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nmonti, Feb 3, 2012.

1. nmonti macrumors member

So I figured I would pose this question here to get some opinions from people, event though my mind is pretty much made up.

I currently own a early '11 15" MacBook Pro, I absolutely love the computer, it's fast and I've never had any trouble with it. I'm currently a college student and spend most of my day on a very hilly campus, so lugging it around for 8+ hours isn't necessarily ideal since I usually do most of my heavy lifting with the computer from the comfort of my own home.

I was wondering if anyone own's both a MacBook Pro & a MacBook Air and how it works out for them. I was planning on picking up the Air and using it on campus for note taking, email and simple web browsing while leaving my Pro docked at home with the intention of using remote desktop from campus when need be.

Thoughts?

2. h00ligan macrumors 68030

3. tarponbeach macrumors member

I have both a 13" MacBook Pro, and a 13" MacBook Air. Initially, I had the same idea of keeping the Pro at home, and using the Air while on the go.

I've ended up using the Pro exclusively, as for me, the Air just seems too fragile. Typing on the Air, the Air's body flexes, and I feel like it is going to bend. The Pro, on the other hand, is solid as a rock, and to me, just feels more substantial.

So, if I had it to do over again, I would not have gotten the Air, as the Pro does everything I need it to do, at home, or on the road.

4. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

What a strange thing. I own a MBA 13" and my girlfriend owns a MBP 13", and I havent noticed any difference whatsoever in the typing experience. No flexing at all.

5. nmonti thread starter macrumors member

At home it does a ton of heavy lifting, I do graphic design work, movie editing and music producing/recording. When I'm on campus it is almost exclusively used for taking notes, reading emails and browsing the internet.

6. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I have a 15 MBP - I would love an Air also - But for me it would b stupid im not making 6 figures :) I dont need 2 portable computers.

7. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I use both an MBA 13 and am MBP 17, depending on what I'm doing and where I'm at. I think you may enjoy a combo of MBP and MBA, though frankly, if you were to get an MBA (especially the MBA 13 model) it may replace for the most part your MBP 15 (other than video/music editing and production). The MBA is a fantastic machine. I see some comments here referring to MBA's fragility. While I respect other's opinions, speaking from my own experience, I find such claims completely unsubstantiated.

8. nmonti thread starter macrumors member

I was planning on picking up the 11" for ultimate portability.

9. safelder macrumors member

I have both a 15" MBP and an 11" MBA, the latter bought as a refurb. The MBP spends almost all of its life docked to my large external monitor sitting on my desk. The MBA is used around the house and when I'm traveling if I think I need a full-on laptop (many times, I just grab my iPad and go).

To keep in sync, I've gone as cloud as I can. I've got a Synology DiskStation NAS running in the house that is synced to the home folders on my MBP and MBA (using ChronoSync). I try to work on the NAS version (mounted via AFP in the house and via WebDAV outside the house) whenever possible.

So far, this setup has worked pretty well.

10. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Whynot get a keyboard for your iPad for the on campus stuff...seems like the logical choice, and cheapest.

11. hamiltus macrumors newbie

MBP for Home/Editing Heavy Duty video and AE CS5 ; and MBA for College

I'm in practically the same conundrum. I already own a mid 2009 13 inch MacBook Pro, which I love and use every single day, but I want to get a MacBook Air for college. First things first, I don't want to replace my MacBook Pro. Should I go for the 11 inch for ultra portability? Or should I go with a 13 inch for the larger screen?

12. Kal~El macrumors member

Mine felt like this too, then i ordered the screwdriver to open it.
    I reseated the bottom, locked the clip in the center and then tighten it all down. Solid as a rock now.

13. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

Do it. Just make sure its not too hard for you to read

14. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I have an 11" MBA and will have my 15" rMBP hopefully by monday. The Air is an amazing device!!! If your using it for web and docs and such it handles like a champ...and weighs nothing.