Macbook Pro/Macbook conundrum

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zxytz, Apr 22, 2010.

1. zxytz macrumors newbie

i need help! basically, I am currently deciding what Macbook to buy. originally i began thinking a base Macbook would suffice for my needs, but after playing around with the Pro range in store, I've begun to think otherwise.

primarily, ill be using the laptop for my photography. so be it running photoshop/aperture. but im not much of an editor, so the photoshop/aperture use won't be too heavy - I very rarely do anything more than just tinker with the levels, brightness and then just resize the image. i use film more than digital, so i often only use photoshop to resize the image after scanning. aswell as that, it will be used for basic internet browsing, listening to music (and maybe playing around with garage band)

after deciding that a Pro would perhaps be better for my needs I immediately decided that I would go for one of the 15" models - mainly so i could benefit from the new range of Intel processors they have, instead of getting a Core 2 Duo in either the Macbook or Macbook Pro 13" models. Good idea? I think so, mainly because its new technology, aswell as it having a slight power increase (however slight it may be).

aswell as the advantages in the processor department, the 15" screen would obviously benefit my photography work. and i don't think i need to state that the extra £80 pound for the higher resolution would also benefit me - so i would almost definitely go that extra.

in the graphics department, I know the better card in the MBP would perform better with programmes such as Aperture - and also with CS5 (i think?)

other perks include the better build quality with the aluminimum unibody and the bigger hard drive, both of which i like the sound of - especially the larger hard drive.

so yeah, please convince me that a 15" pro would be genuinley better for me than a 13" MBP or a MB. i think it would, but the extra money it costs just means i need to be 100% sure!!

2. dyn macrumors 68030

I don't think you need any convincing, it sounds like you've already chosen the 15" MBP (and your reasons are good btw!) :) I'd vote for one for exactly the same reasons you already mentioned: 13.3" can become very small when you want to do some photo/video editing, the 15.4" displays are big/small enough.

3. Meever macrumors 6502a

You can still afford to work with 35mm? Wow, you must be ballin' XD

4. zxytz thread starter macrumors newbie

it isn't so expensive!

i mainly use expired 35mm film, which costs at most £1 a roll (36 exp). this combined with free processing (college) and then free scanning (college) means it's still rather cheap to use. and do i need to mention it being far superior to digital? :p

granted 120 films getting pricier, but even that isn't so bad. i get free rolls of black and white ilford/superia/velvia from college, obviously not 100's of rolls - maybe 10 or so a month, but it's enough, especially for free.

5. zxytz thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, haha! the main thing im taking comfort in is the fact i can use my education discount to bring it to around £1300 with the high res option added on top. that along with the fact that apple products keep their value so much better than windows machines is taking me closer to the buy button!

6. Linkzi macrumors newbie

If you go for the HR screen, I'd suggest the anti-glare screen for your photography editing. Calibrating color or using a selection tool on a glossy screen is more difficult due to the layer of glass and the reflections.

7. BigWil254 macrumors newbie

I was in the same debate as you. I bought the i7 but thought I should exchange it for the 13in. I said F it "Go big or go home." I never looked back. I Have the Adobe CS suite, Aperture, and all those programs and what not. At first I also thought that the 15 inch would be too big. Its perfect. And its still hella portable. Like i said. Go big with the I7 or go home!

8. EVO9Nate macrumors member

Get the best now so that later you don't regret your decision. Also it will be relevant technology wise much longer than a lower type of processor would be.

I agree with a prior poster, go big or go home...:apple:

-Nate

9. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

Slight??? Check out the i7 benchmarks versus the Core Duo processors! I have a 2.66 Dual 15 MBP with a 512 video card and I think the i7 benchmarks at something close to 50 percent faster than mine!!!!!

Get the i7 model and you will spend more but won't be disappointed and have a machine that will give you many years of great service!

10. EEEDEE19 macrumors newbie

I just bought a 15" MacBook Pro from my local Apple Store even though I went in to get the 13 inch!! The display size does make a difference yet the footprint when lid is closed isn't that much bigger and is still very portable.