Macbook Pro, Macbook or what???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by robk, May 18, 2007.

1. robk macrumors member

I've been a PC/Mac whore over the past 3 years. I had a powerbook G4 and a desktop PC but decided that I didn't use either of them fully so sold my G4 and broke apart and sold my Windows desktop and bought a gaming laptop (PC)

Now I'm selling that because I've realised how much I miss the mac and how annoying using a PC can be.

So my question is this.

I'm a graphic designer, using my laptop for occasional freelance work but I use a PC at my day job as a GD too. I'd like to do a bit more video work but I'm wondering if I really need a Mac Book pro, however the build quality of the macbook seems really naff, the ones in the shops seem a bit flimsy, like a massive Psion or something.

As a GD will I benefit from a Macbook Pro, and (althought this is covered elswhere) is it worth waiting till the Developers conference for updates.

2. Igantius macrumors 65816

Many many threads about buying a MBP vs a MB (including about graphic design work) already - so best taking a look!

However, from what you've outlined as to your needs, a MB would most likely meet them just fine - but as it sounds you don't really care for their looks/design, so sounds like you would prefer a MBP. If it's going to be your only machine, I would be inclined to go with the MBP, patricularly if you're not going to use an external monitor.

Definitely hold off buying until WWDC.

3. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

As the MBs have been updated, you can put good money on the MBPs following suite within a few weeks.

4. robk thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys, sorry for asking repeated questions

5. ibglowin macrumors regular

MBP's are built to last. MB's are plastic. Better keyboards (quality), better graphics. You name it, their just built better all the way around.

Since you are a graphics designer by trade you will be happier with the MBP no question. You want to save some $$$ go with the MB but remember the quality is nowhere near the same.

6. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

MacBooks will last provided they are treated well.

There is plastic and then there is plastic and MacBook is made from later*.

* Tough, durable polycarbonate.

7. Igantius macrumors 65816

You're not the first, and you definitely won't be the last! ArsTechica did excellent reviews of MBs and MPB's, which very neatly illustrate the differences between the two machines and it's worth checking those out. That said, I think with the next revision of MBPs, there'll be a greater differential between the models.

Certainly, if you're going to be wanting to use plenty of 3D graphics, a dedicated video card is certainly going to perform better. However, this isn't really the case for what robk says he's going to be using the machine for (i.e. graphic design/video) - but I think most of us would prefer better graphical capabilities!
    As for the keyboard, this comes down to personal preference - I prefer the MB's one myself.

As to the build quality, I very much side with elppa on this one - plus, some MBP users have complained about build quality, but I think their issues have been addressed by Apple (largely speaking).

Anyhoo, here's a link to a reader survey Macintouch did on MB/MBPs - http://www.macintouch.com/reliability/macbooks.html

Over 2,800 laptops were included and, statisically, the model most likely to have to be repaired was the 15" MBP.

I've included this link not to rubbish the MBP but just because I found it interesting in terms of common and not-so common problems people had.

8. oscuh macrumors 6502

MB Review

Here is the ArsTechnica review:

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/macbook.ars/

You'll have to dig to locate the data to compare MB to MBP, but it's in there!

I'm in the same predicament ... I was actually looking to post a similar thread when I found this one. Do I go with the maxed iMac at $2800 or do I go with the MB and get a second, large screen for home use, thereby allowing me to have portability?

I figure with shared video RAM, I'll see a performance hit in some cases, but running a 17" iMac 1.83 Core Duo (no, do C2D) at work right now (no, i did NOT pick it!) a 2.0 Ghz C2D MB with 2 Gb RAM pushing a nice 20-23" LCD at home for running Creative Suite 3 should be more than sufficient, especially considering I'll save close to $1000. I'm not doing video, so keep that in mind ...

Would a MBP be better? Of course, but the amount you want to spend is a big factor. I've done off-site design on a 12" G3 iBook, and was surprised at how well it ran CS2, so I'm sure the new MB will more than meet your needs as it seems that you and I are in the same boat.

9. robk thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys, really helpful advice. Many thanks and all the best

THink I'm gonna wait till after the WDCC see what happens to MBP to seperate them from MB's there really isn't alot between the top MB and the bottom MBP at the moment apart from 300quid :)

I'm sure with the new revisions which are due there'll be a whole new era of MBP's

10. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

Doesn't seem like your in a huge rush, no harm in waiting, and more than likely you'll get an improvement in the MBPs

11. robk thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I'm in no rush. Waiting for WDCC now, because I'm fairly sure the updates are gonna be impressive.