MacBook Pro machining flaws?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by speedbumpnv, Jan 5, 2009.

1. speedbumpnv macrumors 6502

has anyone else run into machining flaws in their unibody MacBooks? i just got out new MacBooks for our office and noticed one looked funny. after looking closer at the edges of the keyboard "well" i noticed there were flaws. i put a straight edge up to the machine and notice several areas that were 1-2mm off forming a wave along the edge of the "well".

the local Apple store is going to swap it out for me. i have to go back tomorrow because i forgot the box :eek:

the picture below shows the area with the largest error above the f11/f12 keys.

[​IMG]

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

can you edit the pic to highlight what we are supposed to be looking at?:confused:

3. Crash1234 macrumors regular

Uh, that's pretty obvious. There is a giant wave right abouve the keys pictured. Yeah, it seems a lot of them have those ridiculous little imperfections. At least it's better than having a loose battery cover, an off center trackpad, or a lid that doesn't close flush. You might get one that's worse.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Idk if its because im tired or just not looking in the right place but im still not sure what Im supposed to see.

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I dont see it either, i doubt theyll replace that, its literally a hairline 0.001mm dent

6. speedbumpnv thread starter macrumors 6502

i will be checking the new one before i leave the store.

they have already agreed to replace it. the manager and two geniuses looked at it.

my only concern is that this so called "precise" manufacturing process is not so precise. the deflection in the picture is about 1mm from the over all edge. there is a larger on in the corner but its harder to see because it tapers into the curve of the corner. running your finger across the top, you can feel the waves. when you think about how tight things are inside the MacBooks, even a .5mm flaw could mean something doesn't fit right. CNC machining is typically very accurate is it not? a straight line should not be a problem.

[​IMG]

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

rather than get a new one why dont you ask for a discount as its for corporate use? you said it yourself its only an aesthetic issue, i doubt thats going to affect the way it works :)