Macbook Pro Magsafe issues.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dirgeforfreedom, Oct 17, 2010.

1. dirgeforfreedom macrumors newbie

Since I bought my Macbook Pro back in Aug 2008, I have never experienced a single problem. Just a few weeks ago, I noticed that my magsafe adapter wasn't charging my laptop. When I plug it in, my mac recognizes that it's plugged in, but it's not charging. There is not even a light on the plug. I've discovered that if I smack my adapter, it works and starts charging my laptop. When it's charged, I can use my mac as if nothing had ever happened. However, my battery's condition is set to "fair" so I don't know if thats causing it to malfunction.

Is it a magsafe issue? Is my battery causing it to malfunction? or what? Please help. :(

I got no applecare and it's out of warranty too. :eek:

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

4. dirgeforfreedom thread starter macrumors newbie

My Macbook Pro is an early 2008 model. It came with the "T-style" connector, not the "L" shape.

It's charging my mac right now, but in a few days or maybe even in a couple of hours, it'll stop working and I'll have to smack it again. I really hope it's the charger because I cannot afford to pay for a full logic board repair. Ahhh freaking out :(

5. dirgeforfreedom thread starter macrumors newbie

None of those worked :(
    My only solution, which is hitting my adapter works. It starts charging again. :rolleyes:
    I think I need to buy a new magsafe then? Also, my battery's condition is "Fair," I've used 358 cycles since Aug 08 and have 3484mAH from the original 5500mAH. When it is charged, ( when my magsafe works ) I can get around 2hrs15mins of battery. Roughly.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it sounds like your MagSafe may be defective.
    Have you calibrated your battery, to make sure the reporting is accurate? See the instructions in the FAQ link I posted. You can install iStat Pro to quickly get a reading on battery health.

7. dirgeforfreedom thread starter macrumors newbie

I just installed iStat Pro. Here are the readings for my battery.

Health: 65%
    Cycles:359 ( it bumped up by one today )
    Charge:35%
    Time Remaining:1:05 ( 1hr5mins)

I have no problem buying a new adapter or a battery soon. I just hope to god it's not a logicboard issue because the repair costs of those will cause me to live on the streets for the rest of my life. :eek:

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your readings may not be accurate if you haven't calibrated your battery. After you calibrate, if the health is still below 80%, you're nearing time to replace the battery. I wouldn't suspect a logic board issue at this point.

9. dirgeforfreedom thread starter macrumors newbie

I went into a local mac shop thats an Authorized Apple Service Provider, they too suggested I calibrate my battery because the readings may not be accurate. Furthermore, they tested their magsafe on my laptop and it started working! When they plugged in mine, it didn't. So my magsafe needs to be replaced also.

I have one question though. Even though my battery is nearing replacement, will a magsafe adapter still keep my computer running? Even with a battery thats nearing very poor health? I am going to borrow one from a friend.

Also, I really appreciate the advice and help. Thank you. :cool: