MacBook Pro MagSafe port missing pin

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sinko25, Apr 9, 2013.

1. sinko25 macrumors newbie

Hey all,

My apologies if this is in the wrong forum - I only post here when I need something ;)

Last night I noticed my MagSafe power cord wasn't "locking" into place, and I thought maybe there was something in the port. When I looked closely, I saw one of the pins had fallen down. I tipped the macbook on its side and the pin just fell out, so now I'm down to 5 pins rather than 6.

I looked into what each pin does; according to wikipedia, it's for grounding. (It was the one on the far right). The computer charges normally and performs normally. Should I bring it to the Apple store just in case? Can something horrible happen without the pin?

It's a mid 2012 macbook with the L style adapter. And no, I didn't drop it.

2. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

If you're under warranty, and there's no evidence that might lead them to conclude it's your fault, then you should absolutely get it fixed. That's quite a costly repair if you have to do it out of pocket down the road.

3. mike5065 macrumors newbie

the charger on my MBP 13 mid-2012 can be connected 2 ways -- from the back, or from the front (i.e. inverted). there is an indicator light on both sides.

it's possible your's may now only work one way.