Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pengachu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
Hi all! This will be my first post on this forum, so please go easy on me XD

So I have purchased my macbook pro last year in september (when they were sold with leopard OS). Counting the numbers, my macbook pro is now a almost a year and a half! I have no installed snow leopard on it and am very glad for the changes.

my problem is, I am not sure if I know how to maintain my macbook pro and keep at at its tip top shape. My questions are as follow:

1) is it always good to keep my mbp plugged in? I have been doing that almost everytime when I am at home. I only let it live on battery when I take it with me to lectures.

2) is it good for the laptop to never shut it down? I basically restart/shut it like once a month >.< the most I do was close the top so it goes to this "sleep" mode kind of.

3) is it possible to run games on an external hard drive? Like starcraft II. I am thinking about move everything to an external hard drive including movies/music/games

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
1. This should answer most if not all of your battery questions. Compliments of GGJstudios. Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

2. When it comes down to it, it doesnt matter. There are tons of threads on this.

3. Probably not, but not sure.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Hi all! This will be my first post on this forum, so please go easy on me XD

So I have purchased my macbook pro last year in september (when they were sold with leopard OS). Counting the numbers, my macbook pro is now a almost a year and a half! I have no installed snow leopard on it and am very glad for the changes.

my problem is, I am not sure if I know how to maintain my macbook pro and keep at at its tip top shape. My questions are as follow:

1) is it always good to keep my mbp plugged in? I have been doing that almost everytime when I am at home. I only let it live on battery when I take it with me to lectures.

2) is it good for the laptop to never shut it down? I basically restart/shut it like once a month >.< the most I do was close the top so it goes to this "sleep" mode kind of.

3) is it possible to run games on an external hard drive? Like starcraft II. I am thinking about move everything to an external hard drive including movies/music/games

1. No you should unplug it and let the electrons get moving around in the battery. Check out the Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

2. That is fine on OS/X. I never turn my Mac's off, but always put them to sleep. The only time I restart is when a Software Update requires it. The longest my MBP went without a restart was something over 60 days.

3. This one I am not too sure on, but probably though. Others here can answer this one better than me. - I've never tried it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.