Macbook pro major problems booting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bonda23, Aug 26, 2011.

1. bonda23 macrumors newbie

Ok so first off I want to thank you for any help..

I bought a 13 in macbook pro for my finace and I can't get it up and running. I bought it from an older person who can't remember the password to the account. I started up in single user mode and finally created a new account and set a new password but I still dont think it it the master account. I cant get the mac to boot up, a gray screen comes up that says restart computer in a bunch of different languages. I have the OSX disk in the cpu. What i would like to do is try to wipe it completely from single user mode if i can and then just re install OSX. The previous owner tried to wipe it to clear their stuff and it's now a mess. I have no idea what to do and my fiance is getting mad that I can't get it working after spending that money. Please someone help!!!

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Give this a try. Read the part about the kernel panic.

3. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Basically, you will need to simply reinstall the system.

You're over-thinking here. This isn't Windows and if you don't realize that soon, you'll never enjoy your new computer.

Put the Install disc in the drive.

Start up while holding C.

It will boot to the DVD.

Begin following the prompts to install OS X.

Customize the install by clicking Erase and Install.

Simple, really. Forget the Windows way of doing things and just let it come naturally.

4. bonda23 thread starter macrumors newbie

I wish it was that simple.. Maybe I am over thinking. When I start it up I tried to boot from disk by holding C. It went to a gray screen that says to restart. I cant get the disk to eject now! It has booted once before to the OSX bootcamp, but can't get it to boot anymore. It needs a clean install bad. Thank you for your help!

5. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Reset the PRAM.

Start up while holding Command+Option+P+R until you hear the chime twice. Then let go and allow it to boot.

6. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

What OS disc are you using to try to boot? If it is a gray one, it is specific to a particular machine type. If a Snow Leopard disc, it has to be equal to or higher the OS version the machine needs.

Let us know what type of MBP you have and what OS disc you are trying to use.