Macbook Pro makes a 'click' sound

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SimonBS, Dec 30, 2009.

1. SimonBS macrumors regular

SimonBS

Hi.

I recently bought a Macbook Pro and it starts worrying me that it makes a 'click' sound.

It's done it all the time but now I start worrying whether or not it's normal. It doesn't do it all the time. It comes now and then. It's not loud.

I've tried to record it and you can hear it by clicking here.

I hope someone can help me figure out whether or not I need to return the Macbook.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. robj macrumors regular

I hardly hear the sound :-S

Maybe something related with hard drive?

Does the click sounds when you're doing something special?

4. SimonBS thread starter macrumors regular

SimonBS

Oh, sorry. I see. It's hard to hear on a computer for some reason. I recorded it with my iPhone and I can hear it on that - not loud, though. The click sound is about 5-6 seconds in.

It does not occur when doing something special.

After reading some threads I'm in doubt. A 'clicking' harddrive might be a sign of a dying harddrive - but this should be completely new.

Also the last reply to this thread says the following:
    That sounds right, but my harddrive shouldn't be busy. It occurs when just surfing the internet.

5. All Taken macrumors 6502a

If you are concerned about the drive and you feel it is not operating within it's normal parameters then use this tool:

https://support.apple.com/techtooldeluxe/main?id=dl

Do you have applecare? The above tool is for applecare holders however google will show you many alternatives.

I would suspect the drive is operating normally and you are just honing in on the sound as you have noticed it.

A loud clicking is one symptom of Hard Drive failure and this clip you posted is barely audible.

6. SimonBS thread starter macrumors regular

SimonBS

I haven't bought AppleCare. But I actually thought that any Mac came with 90 days of AppleCare, but when registering I get asked for informations that I do not have.

It might just be me overreacting, but you know - if you experience something odd with something new, then you might be afraid ;-) And if there's something wrong with the PC, it's better to return it as soon as possible.

I haven't experienced any performing issues.

7. 26.2 macrumors member

Take it in while you can.

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Apple Care lasts one year from the day of purchase.
    You get 90 days of telephone support, but if you buy the extended Apple Care Protection Plan, you get three years of warranty (including the first year) and three years of telephone support (including the 90 days).
    You can purchase the extended Apple Care Protection Plan within the first year of owning your Mac, but not after that.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/