MacBook pro makes weird noise when turned OFF

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lucbert, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Lucbert macrumors regular

Lucbert

Hey
    I just noticed, that my MBP (mid 09) is making a very high pitched noise when it is turned off and the MagSafe connector is NOT plugged in.
    I can only hear the noise when I put the computer close to my ear. The noise definitely comes from the MagSafe area.
    It goes away when I click the battery indicator button on the side but returns shortly after the batteryindicator lights go out again.

Also, there is a ticking/clicking noise that I can hear when my Macbook is fully charged, turned off and the MagSafe is plugged in.
    The noise is only there when the battery is at 100% (MagSafe light is green)
    the MagSafe light also seems to flicker very slightly but that's hardly visible (but definitly there)

both noises go away when the computer is turned on or in sleep.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Maybe the DC board is somewhat damaged. As you still have warranty, how about bringing it to the next Apple Store or any Apple Authorized Reseller who also has customer support.

3. Lucbert thread starter macrumors regular

Lucbert

I thought so, too. But if thats the Case, Why would it make a noise if the MagSafe isn't even connected?

4. sharkync macrumors regular

Are you getting a lot of battery drain overnight? Could be it is not shutting down correctly.

5. Lucbert thread starter macrumors regular

Lucbert

Hm i don't Know because i usually Charge my MacBook over Night. Ill unplug it before i ho to bed tonight and See what Happens.

6. orangepeel macrumors member

Sorry to bump an old thread, I googled the symptoms and found this thread. EVERYTHING described in this topic is happening to my (mid 10), 17 inch MBP. Faint flickering light, the ticking sound with the ac plugged in when the MBP is off, and the faint high pitched whine when the AC is unplugged.

Did you ever find out what was wrong with it?
    And what did you do to remedy the problems?

Thanks.

7. orangepeel macrumors member

Update: Just in case someone has the same problems, googles it, and finds this topic.

It was within the 14 days period, so I just exchanged it yesterday.