Macbook Pro Making a Buzzing Noise.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blairh, Jun 22, 2010.

1. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

My MBP tonight starting making a buzzing noise that is loud enough where I find it very distracting. I can hear it more clearly when I put my ear to the left side of the machine. Is this probably a hard drive issue? I'm going to have a Genius check it out in a few days so I can kill two birds with one stone and see the new iPhone, but figured I'd ask before I go in. I'm still under warranty.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Could it be the fans?

iStat Pro can show you how fast they spin.

3. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

+1 sounds like the fans

4. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

I don't think it's the fans. I could be wrong but I'm familiar with fan noise on my MBP at different levels.

Right now I'm typing on my MBP and I can hear it. Then when I lift my MBP off my bed it stops, then restarts when placed back on my bed. :confused:

5. thebrick macrumors regular

thebrick

hmmm...

I think that noise might get out from it's internal HDD.

Mine has Momentus XT, and originally shipped with 7200.4 and both HDD make quite loud noise. It really bothers me.

6. Xandan macrumors newbie

7. evilaci macrumors newbie

Hello All!
    This is the topic where i finally have to chime in.
    Mine 17 2010 i5 is from May and i recognized by accident buzzing or better clicking noise like in a watch on the left side. And the funny thing is only when the Macbook is shutdown...... :confused::eek:
    Yesterday i used to connect my audio interface on the FW 800 and after shuting down and showing that to my band mates the clicking was away but now highfrequent noise. When i put the FW 800 the noise is away again......
    After playing with the audio interface again now i have the clicking again.... and the high frequent is away. i even had this noise as the battery was empty.
    But so far great engine. My first mac.
    thanks for any idea........ because a pc has no noise when it is out...... only when it is running.... lol

8. blunderboy macrumors 6502

Could it be your LCD? Sometimes LCDs can make that sound if they're on a low brightness setting.

9. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

Depends on your MBP model.

A 17" has it on the left hand side: http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Pro-17-Inch-Unibody/618/1

Thus, the hard disk would be on the left hand side and could explain the buzzing/clicking noise on that side.

What hard disks do you guys have? 7200 rpm ones?

10. peace4al macrumors newbie

similar issue

Hi,
    I faced the exact problem and took mine to the apple store in Palo Alto. The genius said that he is aware of this problem and swapped out a new one.
    I made sure that this one was sounding quite and the clicking/humming noise wasn't there. It worked great initially. But its sad enough that the sound is back just after a month of use. I believe that this is a power supply issue as the exact noise can be heard from the mag safe adapter as well the left hand corner of the mbp(when off only).
    I hope it does not affect my mbp in the long term.

P.S- Is anyone else experiencing the same issue?

11. Xandan macrumors newbie

Well mines a 13" and its not the HDD, what would in the RAM area even make this sound o_O I can't really describe the sound I'm getting, kinda like a rattling/buzzing.
    Something like the Predator, that would be the best way to describe the sound.